My first roll of super 8

Rolando Morales

My first roll of Super 8. I shot very random scenes mostly at 18fps. I mixed in a few 24 and 54 fps. Most of the roll was under exposed a tad bit but nothing I couldn't fix in FCP. I am not sure what setting I had it on, bulb or tungsten. I do know I switched it back and forth here and there. I tried testing most settings and in very different lighting situations. As you can see towards the end I was shooting inside my living room with cloudy ambient light entering the room.

I am pleased and look forward to shooting some more.

Thanks to this forum and all of you who I have asked a ton of questions (Nick C. !) and all who have contributed for others to learn from. I have a ton of questions still AND I already purchased a second camera, a Canon 310XL.

Nizo 801
Kodak Tri-X 7266
Cinelab process and 2k scan

1 - Notch hack, yes or no? Do I even need it? I mainly ask for the Kodak films available and the Nizo 801 and/or Canon 310XL. My idea is just pop in the film and let either camera do its thing.

2 - Criticism is welcomed, but this is my FIRST roll. So any tips or suggestions can be helpful to me.

3- I added instrumental music. I wasn't going to but my wife said she liked it so I kept it. volume off if you want to keep it silent.

https://vimeo.com/258906211

Thanks everyone! I'll admit, nothing much to look at. But this is a reason I also chose S8 to shoot. I wanted this look and feel of everyday memories. I had to downsize the file to post on Vimeo (free account).

I did not use a light meter. I wanted to see how the cameras meter held up and to also learn the internal meter.

I have a roll of 200t from my recent trip to Georgia with some friends and this weekend I will be shooting another roll of 200t in my new to me Canon 310xl. Another "test roll" for that one. Can't wait to see those yet either haha

Ha! You're very welcome. Always happy to help newcomers to the format. Spread the Super 8 love.

First roll looks good! Tri-X is a tricky stock in that there's not much latitude since it's reversal but this looks good. Obviously those last shots are a bit low but mostly fine. Needs a bit of levels/contrast added and you'll have some great stuff.

The 801 with Tri-X should always be shot on bulb. Otherwise it'll read as 100 which will overexpose it.

The 310XL is a solid little camera. Not as sharp but great for low light. Get some 500T and really see what Super 8 can do in low light. Sam can vouch.