HMI UV TESTING

You send it to a lab. It's expensive.

You can get UV shielded HMI lamps now, which gives you an extra layer of confidence.

thanks

for 2500w hmi koto is the only UV Block option.

I also want to test my old double ended hmi.

• Premium Member

Yes, it's a nice idea to be able to test. You could probably jury-rig some sort of approximate test.

The problem is, you're doing it for safety reasons, presumably. This means that if the test isn't done properly, in a way that an insurance company would understand and be willing to cover, then that test is of very little value.

I would suggest that if it's properly-maintained equipment made by a reputable company and used properly, it probably is safe, but the only way to verify that in a meaningful way is to take it to a laboratory that's properly set up to perform that sort of testing. I don't even know what certification a lab would need in order to do that sort of work, but places that claim to be able to do it exist.

I was quoted about UK£600 (around US$900) to test one item.

Why do you have a concern? Is it a PAR? Do you always use it with a lens? Is it a Fresnel? Doesn't operate without the lens door closed which blocks most of the UV, just like the PAR lenses. In either case, there is a minimum safe distance that should be maintained between HMI fixtures and talent. That is spelled out by the manufacturer.

• Premium Member

Note that certain PARs, which have been used with discharge lighting including MSR, CMH and HMI, have been found in the wild with lenses that are not sufficiently UV-blocking for safety. ETC's Source Four PAR was supplied with lenses which are adequately UV-blocking for use with a 575W HMI. Some of the clones of the Source Four PAR have used lenses which were not; at a car show, several of the scantily-clad women on the booth went home with sunburned shoulders.

It is a real concern and actual problems have occurred.

P