Rode NT4 for Ambient Effects

Joe Taylor

Anybody have any experience or opinions regarding the Rode NT4 as a mic for gathering field effects-- wind, thunder, general ambience? I need something long term, for most of the spring and summer, so renting is really not feasible this time. I know there are better setups out there, but for those of us on a budget, how does the Rode NT4 stack up?

• Premium Member

what kind of recorder you use, does it have good enough preamps so that you can gain the mic without problems?

if it being a high noise device (like a Zoom H4 or H6 for example) then you might want to have another more sensitive mic as well and only use the nt4 for louder effects where the preamp noise is not a problem.

Does it have to be a single stereo mic? I don't know how you could blimp/windshield a NT4 for OK results in outdoor use.

with the NT4 price you could almost purchase a reasonably quality shotgun mic AND two ok quality cheaper condenser mics for use as a stereo pair (something like a Rode M5 pair or similar type mics)

For what I'm doing I'm using a Tascam DR-100 MK III. This is for gathering sound location recordings on a western film that have very sound. Echo's in a slot canyon. Mud volcanoes. Cool things like that. And stereo for these locations is a must.

if I buy the NT4, Rode also makes a fairly high quality blimp and mount that is quite popular-- the Rode Blimp 2. It's fairly pricey but worth it if the microphone is up to snuff with what Have to work with.