Film stocks used in the Beatles Let It Be movie

I was using An Arri BL , Yes on rooftop shooting Get Back , back of my head is seen a few times I was lying down on the floor in the front .

Shooting handheld with that Arri BL & 1200 ft mag must have been a bit of a handful John !

How's your back ???

John S :rolleyes:

Edited by John Salim

Was the camera you used there yours?

Before or after the shoot, did you get to talk to anyone from the band or to the roadies, engineers..., the police that came up later on?

Did you get any specific instructions on what to concentrate on, or did you decided for yourself what to shoot and when?

John may have been fortunate, but BLs cost as much as cars in 1969 and they didn't get any cheaper. I have an Arri price list from 2006 and a 16SR was nearly €40,000 body only. A 535, €117,000.

The era of broadcast-quality cameras costing only a few thousand pounds, euro or dollars is very recent.

My favorite film, my favorite band, playing my favorite song.

Holland, I am embarrassed to say how much I have watched this film/song and sent the link to others.

It always leaves me mesmerized... their confidence

Complete slice of history you captured here... something for the ages.

https://youtu.be/NCtzkaL2t_Y

• Like 2

Hey, another Beatles fan!

One of my favorite songs and by far my favorite of their films, so much energy and this is such a great live performance!

These might be shots John did, they seem to come from the right direction: See at 00:45, 1:00, 1:13...

Especially like the fast zoom-out at 1:40 from Ringo, revealing Paul and John (Lennon this time), beautiful!

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

On 3/12/2018 at 5:03 AM, John Holland said:

It was shot on 7254 I know this as I was one of the many operators on it .

Is this the same footage that is in the new Get Back documentary?? I ask because onNPR this morning, they did a piece about it, stating that roof top set was just after what is in Get Back.  The trailer looks great! Can't wait to see it.

44 minutes ago, Chris Burke said:

Is this the same footage that is in the new Get Back documentary?? I ask because onNPR this morning, they did a piece about it, stating that roof top set was just after what is in Get Back.  The trailer looks great! Can't wait to see it.

What they did to the footage in the new documentary is an atrocity. Everything looks plastic - they killed all the film grain.  Low exposures have this weird "artifacty" look to it. Content wise it's amazing but in my opinion it's a complete disgrace to the original film elements.

• Upvote 1

From the Arri 16BL manual, the 1200ft coaxial magazine.  Its description, having "the same quick change feature as the 400ft magazine" and ".compactness" became passe with Arri's introduction a few years later of the 16SR.  Here in the colonies I tried 7254 but in 16 it was too grainy - "Get Back" benefits from the noise reduction available with today's spot scanning.  I switched to 7247 when it was introduced in 1974, and shot an industrial that was among DuArt's first processing it.  It and 5247 were the first emulsions with T-grain for low noise.

968132517_Arri-16BL1200ftcoaxmag.jpg.39b789a83c4829b9618c16a6b5f6c883.jpg

Edited by Robin Miller
can't stand my typos
  • Like 1