I've recently purchased my first S16 camera (Aaton XTR Prod) and I'm looking to make an investment in a zoom lens I can use for allround purposes and no-budget projects that I can still use on productions where we have the budget to rent e.g. Ultra16s, Super Speeds, S4s/SK4s -

Hoping someone in here can give me some advice on the topic.

I'm interested in a zoom that has the following properties:

• PL Mount
  • Close focus of 0.75m or closer
  • Has at least 12-30mm range
  • Preferably ~T2.8 or faster
  • Covers S16 fully

For these requirements I've narrowed my options down to either:

• Angenieux HR 11.5-138 T2.3
  • Angenieux HR 7-81 T2.4
  • Cooke 10.4-52mm T2.8 (CVK)
  • Cooke 10.8-60 T3* (CVK)
  • Cooke 10-30 T1.6 (CVP)
  • Cooke 9.5-53 T1.6 (CVT)
  • Cooke 10.6-52 T1.65 (CVT)

I didn't include the Canon Zooms as I don't feel like they give me the look I am going for. I also didn't include Zeiss Vario Sonnars in the list because their close focus is too far. But they may be workable with a diopter. I'm afraid of losing sharpness however. Any thoughts?

Any other lenses that I might have missed in my research are much appreciated.

Do you have any advice on these lenses. And which do you prefer?

I'd argue that the canons with filtration can be pretty darn versatile, and given how (relatively) common they are you may want to consider one of the late model ones. I know the catch with some of the Angies is once you get midway through the zoom range the maximum open t stop changes

while this wouldnt really count as a budget lens, I use a zeiss LWZ.2 15.5-45 T2.6 on my SR3Adv and get great results. For whatever reason its kinda the forgotten zeiss cinema lens despite its insane sharpness and match to U16s/Ultraprimes. Every now and then these can be had for under 10k