Film Stock

Bibhusan Basnet

Hi everyone, Is it possible to guess what film stock was probably used on this particular film ?

If it's shot on a discontinued film stock, do you have any idea what current film stocks could come close to the one used here ? From my amateur observation, I see that the film has 2 distinct tones ... A very saturated and warm look in some sections where the whites are pushed towards orange and the rest of the footage where the whites look a lot more intact. Do you think it's 2 different film stocks? Or could it be the same stock reacting to different lighting conditions?

I also have no clue whatsoever on what format this could have been shot on :) Is it 16mm or 8 ? I'm working on a short film at the moment and I am trying to replicate a vintage look. I would really appreciate your suggestions :)

• Premium Member

If that's a 16mm Kodachrome print (not unusual back then for reversal original photography) then it's a very bad video transfer, with lifted blacks trying to compensate for the high contrast of the print. Maybe even just some sort of film chain transfer, basically a video camera pointed at a projected image.

Thanks guys ! So I'm assuming that a properly developed/scanned film in the hands of the right colorist can yield the desired look for my project.

However, I still have a few queries. I'll try and break them down.

1. If I wanted a consistent tone/grain structure throughout the film, would you advice on using the same film stock throughout?

2. Would you recommend using Kodak 500T if the desired look is on the grainier side ?

3. Researching on different Kodak films I also came across stuff that was shot with KAHL Super 8 film stock. I would use KAHL throughout the film but their highest ASA rated film goes only up to 125 which would be a nightmare if I had to shoot interiors or low-light settings. Am I inviting trouble during post production if I try and mix both ?

Here's an example of the KAHL 125 ASA film: