• Premium Member

The Tattoo

Directed by Ian Power

Trailer

New York, 1980. Anna Meyer can't remember her past. A survivor of the Holocaust, she is haunted daily by the survivor’s mark on her arm - a concentration camp tattoo.

What begins as a crisis for Anna will take her on a journey of self discovery, acceptance, and redemption.

I had the incredible opportunity to work with Ian on this project and I can't be but really thankful to him for giving me the chance to imagine Anna Meyer's world.

It will be in short-film festivals around the world soon so if you catch it, let me know! :)

Hope you like it!

Have a lovely day!

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

Very very nice. Most impressive when you can pull off that level of style while still somehow feeling totally natural. I really like it a lot. Why 1.33?

Thanks Justin! :)

I love 1.33:1, it is one of my favourite aspect ratios (probably it is my favourite one) and I thought that it could be an interesting way to show that Anna is not very comfortable in the world she lives in, she is constrained, enclosed by something that she doesn't know about.

Also, 90% of The Tattoo is Anna's face and 1.33:1 is an amazing aspect ratio to frame faces for! it feels really intimate to me and I wanted to be with really close to her all the time.

Gorgeous stuff Miguel! I think it's some of your best yet.

4-perf 35mm?

And who's your 1st AC? I want to pinch them from you - some of those push-ins are ridiculous! :P

Awww.. thanks Mark!! :)

I certainly had a really good production designer and art department team to help me achieve the look of it! :)

It is not 4-perf 35mm.. I'll give you another chance! :D

My 1st AC is Michael Gilbert, probably the best focus puller in Ireland at the moment!!

He definitely nailed it!

Pretty sure that he would love to spend some time in the sunny Australia rather than in this island of ours hahaha :D

• Premium Member

It is not 4-perf 35mm.. I'll give you another chance! :D

Hmm... too sharp for 16mm. Is it 4:3 Alexa with vintage glass, a healthy amount of diffusion and some REALLY good film emulation?

Edited by Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Hmm... too sharp for 16mm. Is it 4:3 Alexa with vintage glass, a healthy amount of diffusion and some REALLY good film emulation?

It is 4:3 Alexa Mini with Super Speeds (mainly the 35mm), Black Diffusion 1 + Black Promist 1/2.

No film emulation at all, we shot at 1600ASA, Prores 4444XQ.

Very nice cinematography. Looks like digital.

Thanks Jon!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

If any of you are around Ireland this weekend, The Tattoo is being screened at the Fastnet Film Festival in Schull, West Cork from today to Saturday :).

Have a lovely day!! :)

• Premium Member

Looks great sir.. Alexa mini is really becoming a very popular camera.. its taking work from its bigger brother ..

Thanks Robin! :)

I think that the Alexa Mini is super popular because it has all you need in a camera.. plus internal nds! :) and also because you can make it small haha.

By the way, I never mentioned it but last March we were nominated to the Irish Film & Television Academy Awards for The Tattoo on the Best Short-Film category! We didn't win though but it was great to seeing it nominated! :)

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Im sure the awards will come soon for you sir .. we can say we "knew" you on the inter web ..

Ha! I highly doubt it!

Anyways! They actually nominated the short-film for a bunch of awards in the Fastnet Film Festival!

- Best Irish Short-Film

- Best Drama

- Best Screenplay

- Best Original Music

- Best Editing

- Best Cinematography

So being nominated is already a honor, at least for me, a Spanish foreigner in Ireland haha! :)

Have a lovely day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

We won Best Irish Short in the Foyle Film Festival!!! So, thanks to that, we can submit it to the Academy Awards short-film nominations in 2020.. because, unfortunately, the submission deadline is over for the 2019 Short-film Academy Awards.

I can't believe that we won! ^_^ ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

First time being interviewed and it was because of The Tattoo! :O

It is a Spanish cinematography magazine so don't expect it to be translated to English haha! :)

https://www.cameraandlightmag.com/noticias/miguel-angel-vinas-sobre-the-tattoo-y-la-sutilidad-en-el-rodaje-de-epoca/

Have a lovely day!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Just got a nomination for Best Emerging Cinematographer in the Emerging Director Awards (EDA) 2019 in Ireland for my work on The Tattoo and on the ESB commercial!!

Best Emerging Cinematographer 2019

Awards will be given next Wednesday.. and competition is super fierce so I don't think that I have a chance but it is super nice to get a nomination in a foreign country where I started my career as a cinematographer 2 years ago!!! :)

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Nice one.. loved that film about the old guy on the Island ..

Thanks Robin!!! :)

Where can we see the whole thing?

I thought that I had put a link with a password over here but I didn't so I'm going to fix that! ;)

Congratulations Miguel!

Many thanks Dom!!

That's fantastic Miguel! Congrats!

Thaaaanks Mark!!! :) :)