Conflicted about Sigma art series and true cinema lenses

The Sigma Arts are the best bank-for-buck in glass, period. The IQ is very cinematic. My kit set of primes is Zeiss Otus, and they only do two things better than the Sigmas -- less chromatic aberration, and the Sigmas have a slight green cast.

I still might pick up a couple Sigmas for run-and-gun on the C300, so I can use the autofocus function, probably the 18-35 and 50-100 (though it breathes like a mofo), but need to try their 24-105 and 70-200. Curious to hear anyone's experiences with those!

I've been a Sigma fanboy ever since I did an A/B with the 18-35 and Canon L 24-70 -- the Canon looked like a picture, the Sigma looked like art.

The Sigma Arts are the best bank-for-buck in glass, period. The IQ is very cinematic. My kit set of primes is Zeiss Otus, and they only do two things better than the Sigmas -- less chromatic aberration, and the Sigmas have a slight green cast.

I still might pick up a couple Sigmas for run-and-gun on the C300, so I can use the autofocus function, probably the 18-35 and 50-100 (though it breathes like a mofo), but need to try their 24-105 and 70-200. Curious to hear anyone's experiences with those!

I've been a Sigma fanboy ever since I did an A/B with the 18-35 and Canon L 24-70 -- the Canon looked like a picture, the Sigma looked like art.

I just bought and am shooting now with the Cine Sigma,s ..18-35-50-100..PL mount .. they are very good.. the only big con is the breathing of the 50-100.. its something you either can live with or not.. I can personally, as all the pro,s really out weigh it and for my work its not a huge problem.. but I have been doing less focus pulls due to this.. but there again maybe I did too many in the first place !.. very well built.. nice to handle.. 180 degree focus throw.. and such a low price..and T2 !! the two lenses and the case was just less than ⅓ of what I paid for a Canon CN7 when they first came out.. a very decent, sort of set of primes in two lenses, in a small box..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• 3 weeks later...

The Sigma ART lenses (cine or not) have a great image quality, I don't think they can be mentioned on the same page as the middling Rokinons - I haven't had experience with the XEENs, but the "normal" cinestyle rokinons are really nothing special.

Yes, but they're great to stay home, for travelling they weigh a ton!

I would say the exact opposite.. I bought the Sigma cine zooms primarily for traveling /alot of hand held .. as they are so much lighter and smaller than any other cine zoom.. the 18-35 is only about 1.5kg !! great lenses except the breathing of the 50-100.. if you can live with that ..they are a great bang for the buck..

" the 18-35 is only about 1.5kg !!" Only, uh!

Have you been shooting on the moon .. seriously though its not heavy at all for a cine zoom.. its really light after a day totting the Canon CN7 Cine zoom around.. which itself is tiny compared to alot of Cine zooms.. what have you been shooting with that 1.4kg zoom is too heavy to travel with ?

• Premium Member

" the 18-35 is only about 1.5kg !!" Only, uh!

"only"?! It's covers 18-35mm at a constant T/2 aperture! The only thing that comes close is the Cooke 15-40mm T/2 and that weighs 3.6kg!

• 3 years later...

4 years later and I have the same questions.  I own 3 Sigma art lenses, all EF mounts, and I’m struggling with the comparison of these lenses to Cine and anamorphic lenses.  

in the Cine lenses, there are in 2022, several distinct price points in this category.

$1500 gets your Irix and Siuri 

$4000 steps you up to Canon, Sigma, Zeiss 

the next levels go from $10k to $100k

to me, the game is trying to see the future. 4K is standard now.  Alpha1, Z9, R1 are all full frame cameras that can record in some format of RAW, and BMPCC6K is the choice to scale down to 4k in post.  The point being you should get every photon available with your lenses.  

I don’t think it makes any difference with TikTok videos, but I want to future proof my production.

waiting for the R1 to drop.  

my only question now is RF or PL mount in what ever Cine lens I commit to using?