WCU-4 Issue - Handset limited to 6' range with Alexa Mini

On Alexa Mini / WCU-4 shoot last week we experienced severe signal issues with the WCU-4 handset. If the 1st AC moved further than approximately 6' from the camera the signal would drop out, only when he came back within range did it reconnect and the focus jump back to what was set on the handset.

Troubleshooting we tried:

- 3 x different antenna's, including a large antenna from the Teradek 2000

- Trying all different signal channels

- Changing global region on the handset

- Different handset batteries to rule out power issues

Our thoughts was that there must be an issue inside the body with the antenna connection but has anyone else had a similar experience and found a solution short of getting a replacement body sent out by the rental company?

I had this exact same issue last year and it was the reason you are suspecting: mechanical wear of the antenna connector and the cable attached to it. The rental house said that this is a problem with Alexa Mini´s delivered before spring/summer 2017 and Arri has changed the design in newer Mini´s and there shouldn´t be problems.

The solution was a spare part from Arri and the rental house was able to open up the camera and change the connector, worked like a charm after that. Not something assistant should be doing on a set, so unfortunately I would send the body to the rental company and get a replacement.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I have heard and seen that exact issue several times. Thats why my colleagues and myself will not go near the WCU-4 and instead rely on the Preston FIZ.

G

• Upvote 1