Camera rig for horserace?

Hi everyone, I am about to start prep on series with huge amount of horse race sequences that will take place at a hippodrome.

That is the first time I have to figure out how to shoot horses and riders in their cars with wide angle (it might be 21-27mm or so), a stabilized camera setup must be faced right to horses faces or even muzzles tracking them. How one might achieve it without frightening horses or disturbing riders, with a camera about 3 feet from horse face or even closer?

Any ideas? maybe some of you guys have a positive experience? the other issue is the tight budget as usual)

Thanx in advance!

Thank you Bruce but I do not think that GoPro or kinda thing will do for me and my task. These wouldn't be just short insert scenes like, you know, half a second of a nose breathing hardly. That would be a large part of the show and certainly long takes with sound sync and necessary quality. The main camera system will be an Alexa/Master Primes so I think the rig must fit for a Mini and be as compact (and stable at the same time) as it's possible....

Any suggestions,guys?)

Edited by Dmitry Savinov_38080

yeah that could be a primal choice but out of the budget for sure....(

The only experience I have with this was on "любовь в большом городе 3". We had a technocrane mounted on a special camera vehicle. But we were not going so fast as a horse race either. I also built three dollies on a trailer for the horse riding actors. We were able to shoot them from the side and see them pulling ahead and falling behind, as if they were actually on horses. (Just for close ups as the actors could not ride horses themselves) If you built horse "dummies" on these dollies, you could go a little wider and actually see a little piece of horse in the shot too!

I found a little video about it here: https://www.facebook.com/igori.kamoevi/videos/vb.100000138806890/631716193509668/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Perhaps you could build a "poor man's Russian Arm" using a long pole (like for the sound boom) and a lightweight camera like a BM pocket camera and a very small electronic stabilizer? Have the grips or camera mechanics mount this on a vehicle? I know it's not your 1st choice of camera, but ... you don't have much money either.

The only experience I have with this was on "любовь в большом городе 3". We had a technocrane mounted on a special camera vehicle. But we were not going so fast as a horse race either. I also built three dollies on a trailer for the horse riding actors. We were able to shoot them from the side and see them pulling ahead and falling behind, as if they were actually on horses. (Just for close ups as the actors could not ride horses themselves) If you built horse "dummies" on these dollies, you could go a little wider and actually see a little piece of horse in the shot too!

I found a little video about it here: https://www.facebook.com/igori.kamoevi/videos/vb.100000138806890/631716193509668/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Perhaps you could build a "poor man's Russian Arm" using a long pole (like for the sound boom) and a lightweight camera like a BM pocket camera and a very small electronic stabilizer? Have the grips or camera mechanics mount this on a vehicle? I know it's not your 1st choice of camera, but ... you don't have much money either.

yeah! great idea with dollies indeed!