What lens this Apple commercials shot.

mailesan

• Premium Member

It's difficult to be completely sure about lenses, but based on the scope artifacts, general lack of sharpness and mushiness, that could have been done on the SLR Magic Anamorphot series. I wouldn't want to have paid more than that for those results, certainly!

• Premium Member

I dunno Phil; I highly doubt it was done on SLR magic anything, mostly due to the budget which would be attached to it and the fact it's probably via a rental house in LA. I'd wager It's probably some of your more vintage anamorphics to take the edge off of the digital (probably Alexa) capture, Kowas, or could've been a Panavision shoot with their anamorphics.

I doubt it was Cooke or the new master anamorphics, though.

Something about it makes me want to say Kowas though.

Could somebody tell me what lens this Apple commercial was shot on? I just love the character of this lens.

"Comments are disabled for this video." Hahaha...

I liked the commercial although I think the narration held it back a bit.

• Premium Member

I dunno Phil; I highly doubt it was done on SLR magic anything, mostly due to the budget which would be attached to it and the fact it's probably via a rental house in LA. I'd wager It's probably some of your more vintage anamorphics to take the edge off of the digital (probably Alexa) capture, Kowas, or could've been a Panavision shoot with their anamorphics.

I doubt it was Cooke or the new master anamorphics, though.

Something about it makes me want to say Kowas though.

That was my thought, but it's not exactly ringing with sharpness even in the areas which look in focus.

If this is really normal for anamorphics, perhaps I'm being too harsh on the SLR Magic stuff.

• Premium Member

I haven't really seen too many sharp anamorphics up until the new stuff from Cooke and Zeiss, and of course, even with them, they have "flare kits" to give them back that "anamorphic character," though granted I haven't used the newer panavision anamorphics, which I also believe were/are very well made and sharp.

• Premium Member

There's a focus pull at around 8 seconds with no discernable breathing, so definitely not Kowas. :)

I'd guess Cooke or Panavision anamorphics.

Ha Truth! Didn't even notice honestly. Though I have had a Kowa set which didn't breathe that badly when I used 'em.

• 3 weeks later...