Shutter Misfiring? Dead Frames on Negatives

Max Field

So have been trying out film photography to maybe one day take a crack at 16, but every time my lab sends something back I encounter these blank or slim-exposed frames. I'm shooting expired film for a nice vintage look if that makes a difference.

Take a look at this picture of the negatives

29830745_645127015818488_825922033_o.jpg

Has anyone else encountered this?

Here's what those slim-exposed frames look like when scanned.

29829936_645123192485537_1033323622_o.jp

Is this simple as the camera shutter misfiring?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction on this.

I've been doing that and can't really tell with the naked eye.

I noticed it happens more when the shutter is over 1/90th. Does that seal what the issue is?

Here is another image, is it normal for the shutter to be thicker at the edge than a consistent darkness all the way through?

obX8Eut.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

yep could be that the mirror is not lifting up correctly. I have lots of old soviet Zenit stills cameras which have this issue... the mirror works most of the time and then for a frame or two it does not rise correctly when the shutter is released

Assuming the shutter travel is vertical, the shutter may be sticky. One of the blinds is moving too slowly and causing underexposure- although the wedge shape of the transition is odd. With a sticky mirror you'd have no exposure at all on part of the frame. Where you have blank frames it's probably not opening at all. Have a look through the back of the camera and see if you can replicate the fault.

It's unlikely to be worth the expense of a repair- what camera is it?
Edited by Mark Dunn

It's unlikely to be worth the expense of a repair- what camera is it?

It is a Canon Rebel X S (film version lol)

I assume it's a cheap model Canon put out in the mid 90s? Was sitting in a basement for 15 years until I asked someone to use it.

I have since purchased a Canon A2 which feels like a much more reliable camera body.

Edited by Macks Fiiod