Hi,

I'm Ben, a learning camera assistant who chose not to study film and is now catching up on production etiquette and techniques!

I recently pulled focus on a short film for a great DoP (Tansy Simpson) here in London and at one point she asked me to push the iris to a 'two plus'

Now i assumed this meant something like a t2.1, or did it mean 2.5? I'd love to get clarification on this as I was too worried she might think I was an amateur if i asked!

Thanks in advance for any help offered,

Benjamin

It was a very low budget, tightly scheduled shoot and the DoP who is also my friend was worrying about a lot of things as a result of shortcomings in other departments. Adding another worry ("My 1ac doesn't know basic set lingo") to her list didn't really appeal. I was confident that putting the iris between 2 and a 2.8 would give her the stop she wanted, but I'd like clarification. I'd actually be comfortable asking her now the shoot is over! But she's in LA, and I wanted to try this forum... which I would not be surprised she used herself! (Busted?)

• Premium Member

You can e mail her, but it almost sounds like "2 and a Bump" which when I say it I typically mean 2 and 1/3rd, Else I'd say "A bump under 2.8," e.g. 2 and 2/3rds.

Nest time just ask. You'll look far more foolish by not asking. I don't think any DoP would or should chew your head off for not understanding something right away since everyone I know tends to have their own "isms," (Adrianisms in my case) which their regulars are adapted to but to which new and day-players aren't.

• Premium Member

Hey there. There is no shame asking these questions. Im a 38 year veteran First AC and I would have asked exactly what she meant by a 2 plus. Im guessing she meant a line closed from a T2 but every DP has their way of saying things. Its always better too clarify rather than committing a bigger mistake.

G

• Upvote 1

The one that gets me is "2.8 Minus half" - doesn't compute in my head as they wanted T2 and a half.

Only heard it once so can't call it popular. I had to ask what they wanted a few times on that one as I just didn't understand it.

I occasionally hear Plus and Minus a bump but mostly it's "and a quarter/third/half"

If I hear a term I haven't heard before, I'll ask what they mean. There are so many localisations and variations you can't possibly know it all right from the get go