The Greatest Showman - Hot Toplight

What type of light do you think was used for this toplight, or if you know please share.

From The Greatest Showman - Rewrite the Stars scene - shot by Seamus McGarvey

The beam is clean and seems like a tungsten fresnel but has the punch of a par with maybe a very narrow spot. I would think that these would overheat though pointing straight down. What are your thoughts?

post-52259-0-33045500-1522602920_thumb.gif

post-52259-0-65322400-1522602794_thumb.jpg

post-52259-0-16817400-1522602814_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

People seem to use huge light sources to do that sort of thing on big shows. Does it have the ring-shaped striation in it of one of those big xenon (or tungsten) beam projectors? Hm; looks like it's diverging a bit more than they usually do (though some can be focussed.) Perhaps it's a PAR. I see a dark ring in the spot of light on the floor which would typify one of those two.

P

• Premium Member

I also don't necessarily trust how bright it looks to how bright it was on the day based off of an animated gif. It does look tungsten, though in the gif, but daylight in the poster and nearly a little de-focused leko-like to me.

I haven't seen the movie; but yes, an 800 or 1600 JoLeko is Very bright, especially if you are using a 26 degree lens.

I went straight to the source Seamus told me it was a 10K Molebeam.

Thank you Mr. Mullen! I really appreciate all your contributions to learning.

Would a mirror still need to be used to prevent overheating, as you mentioned with a xenon? I would think this would be the case with large tungsten units.

• 2 weeks later...

I went straight to the source Seamus told me it was a 10K Molebeam.

I’m surprised it was a mole beam as mole beams can’t seem to create a perfect and even circle of light like a super trooper, moving light, or Leko. I feel like you can always see a pattern of the filament. But they made it work.

Tim

• Premium Member

Yes, that was why I didn't think Molebeam right away because whenever I used the 5K Molebeam, I got a funny grill pattern on the floor. But maybe they made a bit of a snoot for it to create a cleaner circle -- or if it had to be bounced into a mirror first, then a black circular cut-out mask on the mirror. I also haven't used the 10K version and not from that far away.

David, in the mid 90’s I was at Paskal that had an old beam projector that someone rescued from a studio junk pile. I had never seen one before and asked about it. I was able to turn it on and if I recall correctly it had a much cleaner look. When moles beams came out a few years later I never thought it was as clean as you can see the pattern. If you find yourself at Paskal, maybe you can ask about an old beam projector and see if my memory is accurate.

Best

Tim