Arri SR3 Dual Batter Charger question.

Hello I have a question about an Arri SR3 Dual Batter Charger:

Mainly, I am concerned whether it is still working. When I plug it in and try to charge the batteries the red lights no longer come on as they did in the past.

I can not find any useful information in the owners manual so I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me.

ID #: k2.47014.0

Here is a picture from Visual Products:

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=233&Cat=3&Cat2=49

Any help is appreciated,

thanks guys.

• Premium Member

If both lights are not coming on the most likely reason is that the fuse is blown.

Checking, or simply replacing the fuse - accessed with a half turn of a screwdriver in the fuse holder at the back above the power lead - is the first thing to try, if that doesn't work it will need to be looked at by an electrical repair person.

Damn.

I am currently in Russia and the last time I used the charger was in America. A quick google search reveals:

"Russia uses 220 volt electricity (America uses 110 volts). Most electrical devices support both."

On the back of the charger itself is a red switch that can be flipped from 220v to 115v. Is it possible I blew my fuse by not having the correct orientation on first plug in?

Possibly, the fuse exists to prevent the device from drawing too much current. However when you double he voltage, you half the current, so it more likely you damaged some of the electronics with excess input voltage.

Possibly, the fuse exists to prevent the device from drawing too much current. However when you double he voltage, you half the current, so it more likely you damaged some of the electronics with excess input voltage.

Most countries outside North America and Japan use 220V.

Assuming you didn't flip the voltage selector before you plugged it in in Russia, I agree, you've blown the transformer, unless there's a thermal fuse or something inside to protect it.

Try switching it over now. You can't damage it any more.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Most countries outside North America and Japan use 220V.

Assuming you didn't flip the voltage selector before you plugged it in in Russia, I agree, you've blown the transformer, unless there's a thermal fuse or something inside to protect it.

Try switching it over now. You can't damage it any more.

Right, so I tried it switched to 220V and I got nothing. I do not remember where it was switched to when I first plugged it in, but it might be important to note that the power sockets on the device itself are the two-pronged european style. Not sure if that offers anything.

Barring anything coming from that information I am going to assume the fuse is blown and I am going to have to find one some where out here. боже факин мой.

Presumably you used it with a plug adapter in the US.

JD's comment about current is correct- you haven't blown the fuse, but most likely the transformer, unless it has some form of protection.

Yes, I used and adapter when in the states.

It sounds like it is worse to have messed up a transformer. Is this the case?

Is there anyway there is a more benign reason for the lights not turning on?

post script: I don't know why italics is locked on ...

If the fuse is the transparent glass type you can usually see if it's blown. If not check it with a multimeter. If it's OK, you're probably out of luck, as JD says. If not it won't cost much to replace it. You might be lucky.