Hi all,

I was recently introduced to the wide range of image profile (dynamic range) options on industry cameras.

I understand that a low dynamic range gives you less tonal range and high gives you higher, but under what circumstances would you want a lower dynamic range versus higher? I was also told that you have to be an experienced colour grader to shoot high dynamic range, can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

I dont think youd want to record in a low dynamic range recording format unless you had to shoot 8-bit but certainly there are times when you want to create a high contrast image in lighting and in the grade for a visual effect. For example a black silhouette against a white wall is a very high contrast image that might not have detail in either the blacks or the whites.

Another thing to take into account is color, if you use a high contrast tonal curve, colors will separate more and you will get more saturated and deeper colors. There are some deep saturated colors that look great that are very difficult to get naturally in a low contrast image. I guess thats where the "experience colorist comes in, but I would say to get cool looking color in a low contrast/high dynamic range scene, it might be more dependent on wardrobe and production design than your colorist. A great colorist will still struggle to make a low con image look good in a white room with bland wardrobe and even lighting.

Also I'm just talking about the LUT you use for viewing and exposing, you still should always be recording log or a low contrast curve if possible for safety and add the contrast back in for post.

Edited by Ryan Emanuel