Hanging fixtures from a goal post

Rick Gates

This is probably a no-brainer for all of you, but I'm running into a problem getting my fixtures to hang straight down from a goal post.

As you can see in the pictures below, the stage clamp which started out perfectly vertical, has slipped around the speedrail as I jostled the goal posts raising and lowering them.

I've also tried cardellini clamps of various types to no avail. The speedrail is clamped firmly into the combo stands.

So, it's probably obvious, but is there some sort of clamp that will hold a baby pin vertically and not slip around the rail?

hanging+lights+1.jpg?format=500w

hanging+lights+2.jpg?format=500w

• Premium Member

I have used Matthellini clamps directly on the speedrail, should create enough friction so that it does not slip that easily with "smaller lights" like 2-4 Kinos and such. safety wire for the light is needed of course. how much that light weights, maybe you could just add two clamps to create more friction?

Baby Grid clamp

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33137-REG/Matthews_425157_Baby_Grid_Clamp.html

or

Baby Pipe clamp

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33212-REG/Matthews_429618_Baby_Pipe_Clamp.html

but as mentioned a Cardalini should hold in place as well.

If your friction tape is shot pick up some skateboard grip tape 5-10 bux- sheet will cover quite a few Cardalinis.

OK, here's the latest developments.

I decided to try the cardellini (actually, a knock off from Kupo, but seems solid). This time I cranked it down as hard as I could.

It's a new clamp, and here's a couple pictures of the pads, and of it hanging straight before mounting the fixture.

hanging+lights+3.jpg?format=500w

hanging+lights+4.jpg?format=500w

So I mounted the fixture and went back and forth raising and lowering the goal posts. When I finally got it back down to square one, here's what it looked like:

hanging+lights+5.jpg?format=500w

So next I thought perhaps the problem was the couplers that I have in the junior receivers atop each stand. I actually used some pliers to crank them on tight, but noticed that there's still some gaps where they contact the speedrail.

hanging+lights+6.jpg?format=500w

hanging+lights+7.jpg?format=500w

Anyway, either I need to get something like a real Big Ben for the top of the combo stands, or maybe I can cut up a silicon pad and use them under the clamps for a better fit.

Either way, I think I'm going to take Ed Conley's advice and purchase a Baby Grid Clamp, which has the advantage of the baby pin hanging straight down from the center of the clamp.

Hah. Kupollini.

Good instincts JD. The speedrail was indeed turning. So I cut a couple of pieces of silicon mat, wrapped them around the ends of the speedrail and clamped down on that.

hanging+lights+8.jpg?format=500w

Result? Absolutely no movement on the fixture. It stayed completely vertical throughout all jostling of the goal posts.

As always, thanks for the help.

Edited by Rick Gates

Our Big bens have a bolt hole so you can secure the pipe/speedrail. Pick is of a Baby but same thing on the Jr.

That Monfrotto clamp looks like it has enough meat on it to drill a hole and Tap it to accept a bolt or better a T-handle bolt.ME212-2-456x456.png

Our Big bens have a bolt hole so you can secure the pipe/speedrail. Pick is of a Baby but same thing on the Jr.

That Monfrotto clamp looks like it has enough meat on it to drill a hole and Tap it to accept a bolt or better a T-handle bolt.

Shouldn't be necessary to drill and tap for a second clamping screw.

Possibly two factors to account for the pipe slipping in the BigBen: speedrail is not "Speedrail" or 1-1/4 sch. 40 pipe and a little too small for the clamps optimal minimum diameter; poorly made product as Manfrotto has off-shored their product from a small town in Italy that employed all the local craftsman and skilled labor to a low-buck far east manufacturer.

I own Manfrotto BigBens and they have never slipped, but mine were cast and finished in Italy.

The rail I'm getting here in town is schedule 40 6061-T6 extruded aluminum. I measured the OD at 1.657. The info from on B&H from an "Avenger Expert", is that the clamp range 1.65" to 2.04".

I don't have any experience with Big Bens. Are they usually designed to work with both 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 speedrail?

Ed must be right about the optimal minimum diameter, and I'm at the bottom end of the range, so I guess it makes sense I'd run into this problem.

At least I can easily wrap the pipe ends with silicon before clamping.

Thanks!