How to Find DP Experienced in 35mm? (LA and Santa Barbara)

Jeff Norman

Hi there,

I'm a filmmaker looking to lens a short film within the next few months, and I'm on a mission - to find a gifted cinematographer who's experienced with working on 35mm celluloid. Where would be the right venues to come across a talented individual like this who understands the finer points of working with actual film as opposed to a digital toolkit?

I have the script for my project, entitled "Kiefer + Gianna," attached to this message. It's a love story that takes place on a Santa Barbara County vineyard, exploring how passion can grow as one's knowledge of wine grows deeper.

Any comments, leads, or advice are all welcome. Thanks gang!

- Jeff

• Premium Member

Well, you could hire me (www.adriansierkowski.com) or any of the very very very talented people here on the forum. I've had the joy of shooting film many times in my career and still enjoy shooting it when comes around.

Be warned, though, that shooting on film takes a level of discipline which is often absent from digital productions, so you really need the whole cast and crew to understand the sound of the camera rolling is the sound of money.

• Premium Member

Hi there,

I'm a filmmaker looking to lens a short film within the next few months, and I'm on a mission - to find a gifted cinematographer who's experienced with working on 35mm celluloid. Where would be the right venues to come across a talented individual like this who understands the finer points of working with actual film as opposed to a digital toolkit?

I have the script for my project, entitled "Kiefer + Gianna," attached to this message. It's a love story that takes place on a Santa Barbara County vineyard, exploring how passion can grow as one's knowledge of wine grows deeper.

Any comments, leads, or advice are all welcome. Thanks gang!

- Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'll be over in California in May and possibly June, am very comfortable working with film, and love wine.

Feel free to have a look at my work on my website: www.dreamsmiths.com.au and if you like what I do and a May/June timeframe works for you, feel free to shoot me through a copy of the script. I'd be keen to have a look.

Cheers,

Mark

Hey you can pm me. I mostly shoot on film and have a ready sync sound Arri 35 camera and a Cooke 20-100 lens as well. And I have connections for Film scanning and purchasing that Id like to run by you. If interested, send me a message. Good luck.