Canon 814 AZ Electronic thread size

Willem Jansen

• Premium Member

I have a Canon 814 AZ Electronic for a couple of years now. And I'm thinking about shooting a short film with it. Funny enough I found out it had a skylight filter (58 R1,5 1x) on it the whole time :rolleyes:

The thing is, I went outside (it's really sunny here today) and the exposure meter immediately indicated overexposure. Should I add a ND filter? Or is there something else I can do to get it to drop a bit? The skylight filter has a "58mm" thread, but the camera's zoom lens says "60mm". If I would buy a ND filter, should I get one with a 58mm thread size or 60mm?

A skylight filter doesn't alter the exposure. It absorbs a bit of UV and may reduce haze a bit in landscapes. I wouldn't bother with it, especially with an ND- extra surfaces to cause flare and pick up dust.

The "60" refers to the longest focal length of the zoom, not the thread size. You should get a 58mm. size.

What film are you using? Anything over about 100ISO may need an ND in bright sunlight. Try ND3 (1 stop) or a 6 or 9 (2 or 3 stops). ND3 may not be enough if you're shooting at 18 instead of 24fps.
Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Thanks for the information, Mark!

I'll be shooting 24fps. I don't know what type of film I'm gonna use, except that it's Vision3. I wanna shoot it in a forest in the summer, so any suggestions would be great.

The shutter speed for 24fps is 1/48th of a second. Negative film stock has pretty good exposure latitude; so I think as long as you're stopped down all the way; you should be good. The funny quality about film is: the more you expose it to light the less sensitive it becomes and the less you expose it to light the more sensitive it becomes. Reversal is less forgiving. Another way to lessen exposure time is to shoot in slow motion. This is especially useful when shooting reversal film in bright sunlight and you would be overexposing it otherwise.

• Premium Member

Okay, thanks.

Btw, I noticed that the needle of the exposure meter doesn't move at all when I manually turn the aperture control ring. It seems like it doesn't work anymore. Is there another way I could manually control the aperture?

The funny quality about film is: the more you expose it to light the less sensitive it becomes and the less you expose it to light the more sensitive it becomes.

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. The sensitivity of film is independent of the light level.