Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - CONFIRMED! BMPCC 4K!

Samuel Berger

It is not the "colored knob" update of the FS5mk2! ha

I know what you mean .. but the big up grade was the new Sony Rec709 Lucent color space for internal recording.. that would be a major reason to up grade .. oddly at the moment the only two Sony cameras that have it are the Venice at the top of the heap and the Fs5II at the very bottom !

Yeah but that is something the could/should have just given as a firmware update to the FS5 mk1!

Its not possible..don't worry all the F5/55 owners said the same thing. !!. .its just not firmware up date do able .. very least must be a different color filter array set up I guess.. I really hope Lucent / the electronic Variable ND/ the PL type locking E mount and 6K is on the next F series camera ! that would be a keeper ..

When you have to order them and they are promised to deliver and then there is none for half a year it just does not work at all :blink:

Seems to be happening more and more in the film/video world. For instance Kodak and Ektachrome film, and the Super 8 camera. Might be the realities of business now. Very high production costs, cutting it extremely finely with profits.

I've never had that problem with them. I have two pocket cameras, both I had zero issues getting when brand new.

As I said before, I think the European market is a struggle for them. The US peeps aren't having issues getting them at all.

US peep here. I pre-ordered at B&H when they were first announced. I finally cancelled in early December as it was still back ordered and I heard that Adorama had them. Nope. I was back ordered there too. As I have a reason to go with B&H when I can, I cancelled the Adorama order after a few weeks and placed an order with B&H again around the first of the year... and I'm still back ordered. If anyone would be able to direct me to somewhere in the US that has it actually in stock, I'd cancel my B&H order in a heartbeat and get it elsewhere. This isn't a knock against B&H or even BM. On my budget, it's a major investment and I've been looking forward to upgrading from my T3i for awhile.

• Premium Member

US peep here. I pre-ordered at B&H when they were first announced. I finally cancelled in early December as it was still back ordered and I heard that Adorama had them. Nope. I was back ordered there too. As I have a reason to go with B&H when I can, I cancelled the Adorama order after a few weeks and placed an order with B&H again around the first of the year... and I'm still back ordered. If anyone would be able to direct me to somewhere in the US that has it actually in stock, I'd cancel my B&H order in a heartbeat and get it elsewhere. This isn't a knock against B&H or even BM. On my budget, it's a major investment and I've been looking forward to upgrading from my T3i for awhile.

Had you just waited a few more weeks, you would have received the camera. Blackmagic didn't start shipping the bulk of the orders till December. I haven't heard when the next batch will be released, but I would assume they have a lot of back orders so it maybe a while.

I myself am waiting until they're in stock because I'm in no hurry and I feel there maybe a hardware update up the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine finally arrived last Friday. From being ordered in Sept - glad I held out. But 6 months late isn't great, you'd hope BM learn't their lesson from the delays on the production 4k a few years ago and not announce projects that aren't ready

Still got 5 nice new cameras to play with

Had a play with it today. They are excellent, the screen is really sharp, they are easy to set up, images out the box look great, good latitude and low light is v impressive. Just pointing it at the office in random lighting looked great. 

This is going to be the goto budget camera, the ergonomics without flip screen are a bit fiddly but i guess manageable with a rig.

Might have to order a few more - I think these are going to be the perfect replacement for our stock of canon DLSR's. Shame they don't do an EF mount since our lenses are mostly EF and the adaptor is an extra expense. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Max Field / Macks Fiiod said:

Incredible as a B-cam

wow the same actress appears in both of the cameras and is even lit almost similarly, truly incredible content matching by Blackmagic! ?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

wow the same actress appears in both of the cameras and is even lit almost similarly, truly incredible content matching by Blackmagic! ?

The only time the camera fell short was the outdoor tests around 2:55. But for 5% of the price, not bad at all.

• Premium Member

Nice to see someone do an actually test who knows how to color properly! Every test I've seen has been garbage outside of this one. Where the colors of the pocket camera are more muted, I think this test is pretty accurate in what the camera can deliver. The Alexa of course will have a more shallow depth of field look due to the larger imager, it also shows how much depth there is to the colors of the Alexa, plus more channel separation. This is clearly noted in the skin tone differences, the detail in the skin is not as present on the pocket. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've already shot two projects. It completely saved my bacon in a dark location, requiring 5000 and 10,000 ISO to get enough exposure. The footage that came out was quite useable, grainy but in a nice way 10,000 iso looks a bit like 500 ISO 16mm

The only issues I have is the ergonomics are not great, I'm going to have to get a rig. The internal battery life is also poor - between 30 and 50 mins each charge dependant on resolution, again going to have to source an alternate power source  

It has not got image stabilisation. I did a project handheld using the Panasonic 14-140mm zoom that does have internal stabilisation, last week and it turned out ok. 

I'm more of a tripod person so it tends not to matter to me , but there are lenses that can help. 

At the price point I don't think you can expect more then the basics, sure ND, good ergonomics, better battery life and SDI would all be great to have. But they would push the price up.

I have access to an FS7 but already the BM pocket is turning into my goto camera for certain projects, because I can just fit it and a couple of lenses in a small bag and travel light. I still do the odd central London job where public transport is needed to get to the location. The ability to fit everything into a bag that you can take on the tube, go through barriers - is huge.  Combined with the great low light, meaning I can get away with just bringing a reflector or single small LED source for interviews. Its very practical for those jobs. 

And this is from someone who was very angry with black magic 1 month ago  and considering cancelling my order. BM has won me round... 

• Upvote 1