PanAura 5 - overhead, how to

Hi guys,

I'm on a one-man band shoot where I'd like to have a Panaura 5 overhead on top of a kitchen counter.

What's the right grip that I need?

Potentially, can I achieve this by using C-stand, attaching the light to the end of the flag arm?

(does the light fit the flag arm?)

Thank you.

Technically this is a gripping question, so maybe someone else would be more qualified to answer this.

DONT try to use it with a C-stand arm. The weight and size are too much for them and it wouldnt support it.

The cheapest way to do that is a simple goalpost rig, the process is detailed here pretty well:

Then just use a Cardellini to mount the light to the pipe. Also: use safety chain, which you pull through the bail of the light and around the pipe, so it has just enough slack for you to adjust the lamphead in the correct direction.

I hope there is enough room in the kitchen for that. If you dont have the room for that or the shape of the room doesnt accommodate for a goalpost rig, either a wallbreaker or a menace arm would be the way to go, but neither are one man band setups. Also, if not handled right, both of them and especially the wallbreaker can be dangerous to the people below it and damage the walls you attach it to - if you dont know what you are doing. Will be interesting to know what other people suggest.

Hi Alex, thank you for the detailed reply. The wall spreader would not be handy to rig for this type of shoot and in the kitchen I'm shooting in I cannot afford the risk of ruining the location..

I've been suggested a combi boom stand too. Pretty quick to rig and not bulky, do you guys think is safe too with the right counterweight?

thanks,

Alessandro