YouTube rant, long

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

Yea, the cost to run a site like youtube is huge. Vimeo only exists because they charge people and offer a more professional service with greater security and features. Outside of that, it's kind of a worthless platform.

Yea, the cost to run a site like youtube is huge. Vimeo only exists because they charge people and offer a more professional service with greater security and features. Outside of that, it's kind of a worthless platform.

Now if Vimeo also offered a paid promotion service, I'd actually use it consistently.

• Premium Member

I think the reason TV still persists is that its' cheap and easy to use. With the net you have to think, decide, and search for what you want, as opposed to channel surfing and seeing what the stations have to offer.

Having said that, I think a savvy indy producer knows how to digitally distribute and bring attention to his content. But I also think the reason the film crowd and online crowd haven't melded like was expected, is because they're two different audiences at the core, in spite of having cross platform appeal.

All this means, to me at least, that if you're running a site like YouTube, then you need those advertising and subscription dollars. But I don't think that's the end all for getting your stuff seen.

• Premium Member

But I don't think that's the end all for getting your stuff seen.

It is if you don't have high-end content.

If I go out and shoot something for fun, I'm not going to spend a few grand to make it workable for another streaming service to MAYBE get a few bux. Naaa, I'm gonna post it on youtube and Vimeo and prey people see it.

We're speaking two different languages here. I'm speaking the language of MOST content creators. You're speaking the content of a very select few who make feature length of television formatted content. If you look at all the content online, feature length and televison packaged content adds up to a very small percentage. The vast majority of content, as I said before, are bullshit videos people throw together for fun. It's the poop I enjoy making and my stuff is seen by hundreds of thousands of people. My current youtube site launched in July of 2017 and with just a few videos, I've received 376,000 views. That's small potato's, but I've spent ZERO dollars on most of it. Yes there are a few shorts that are part of a bigger commercial project which is costing me money, but the majority of content is just silly stuff I threw together in spare time.

Point being... Youtube is a great platform if you produce content and want it to be seen. Otherwise, you're spending money to get it seen and honestly, what's the point of that unless you can make a lot of money? Will your little feature you made for peanuts that nobody will pay for get 370,000 hits on another platform? Doubtful... very very doubtful.

• Premium Member

I'm not convinced. YT has big business / corporate level resources where they can cut down the cost of storage and distribution and therefore undercut some indy person who shoots whatever and uploads it to their own personal server. It works because advertising is based on hits ads get to offset the cost.

But if you're charging for streamed content, then you can pump up the price a little more (quality depending) and keep it in house without agreeing to some other terms. It was what I planned on doing. But, again, as of five minutes ago .... things went sour.

There are online video services that are no YouTube, and they seem to do okay. They're not Disney, no one sleeps in their car, and no one screws with their 23andMe results. But whatever.