Best way to immitate soft moonlight (max 10kW)

Hi, what's the best way to imitate a really soft moonlight with small budget. I'm able to have 2x5kW generator.

I don't need to cover a lot of space(3meters/10ft x 10meters/30ft), EXTERIOR, I need to use it as a fill just to get enough exposure for blacks.

I'm shooting on Kodak Vision 500 T, which has 250 ASA left.

The main light source will be a lot of fire torches - one for one actor. they give me enough exposure on the faces (f 4 - f2,8), so, as I said, I need the moonlight for filling and raising up the blacks.

I was recomended to use 4x Joker Bug 800 + Standart Lantern chmeras. I never used them. Do you think they would have enough output?

Thanks !

Edited by Nojus Drasutis

• Premium Member

should be enough for such a small set and underexposed moonlight. if you need only one big soft source you can consider bouncing them all from a single or two (side by side) 12x12 for example. chimeras would be harder light but also more exposure for the blacks

• Upvote 1

Hi, what's the best way to imitate a really soft moonlight with small budget....I'm shooting on Kodak Vision 500 T, which has 250 ASA ....

The main light source will be a lot of fire torches - one for one actor. they give me enough exposure on the faces (f 4 - f2,8),

If the torches set your exposure at f4 with a 250 ASA stock you will need more Foot Candles than you can get bouncing a couple of M18 into a 12x frame at a distance. You might look into renting an Airstar Gaffair 4k HMI balloon.

IA_Balloon_Wkshp_Comp2.jpg

A modified 7500W Honda EU6500is generator and 60A Full Power Transformer/Distro powering 4kw HMI and 8kw Tungsten AirStar Balloons at an IATSE Local 481 Balloon Seminar.

It will be a lot easier to fly than a large 12x frame bounce, give you better results, and can be powered off a Honda EU7000 or EU6500 as we did for the IA training workshop pictured here.

Guy Holt, Gaffer

ScreenLight & Grip

Lighting Rental & Sales in Boston

Edited by Guy Holt

Guys, Thanks for your answers.

If the torches set your exposure at f4 with a 250 ASA stock you will need more Foot Candles than you can get bouncing a couple of M18 into a 12x frame at a distance. You might look into renting an Airstar Gaffair 4k HMI balloon.

IA_Balloon_Wkshp_Comp2.jpg

A modified 7500W Honda EU6500is generator and 60A Full Power Transformer/Distro powering 4kw HMI and 8kw Tungsten AirStar Balloons at an IATSE Local 481 Balloon Seminar.

It will be a lot easier to fly than a large 12x frame bounce, give you better results, and can be powered off a Honda EU7000 or EU6500 as we did for the IA training workshop pictured here.

Guy Holt, Gaffer

ScreenLight & Grip

Lighting Rental & Sales in Boston

Sadly, I live in Lithuania. As far as I'm aware of, we have only 2x Gaffair 1.2kW in rental houses. I'd love to use this beast. Do you think few of 1.2 kW would be enough?

Skypanels

Yes, maybe, but they are quite a bit more expensive, aren't they?

Again, Thanks for everyone!