Changing Shutter speed on a6300? And a good 1.8 lens that is affordable?

Matt Stevens

Hey gang, posting from china where it is VERY difficult to connect to this website.

My boss handed me a Sony a6300 and expected me to just know how to use it since "you know video and made short films." Doesn't work that way. I cannot find how to change the shutter speed on this bloody camera. Can someone clue me in? Auto settings are total garbage. Google is blocked here and searching with a vpn has been painful. Hours at it and I cannot get an actual answer. Why is it always so hard to find this one setting on cameras?

Also, he just expected to be able to have "movie footage" with the kit lens, not having a clue how to get a shallow depth of field. Can someone recommend an affordable lens for this camera that can get me down to maybe 1.8? The two lenses he has are 3.5 and 4.0. Uhhh, not gonna do the trick.

Thanks!

It needs to be relatively wide angle since I will be forced to shoot indoors a lot with two people in frame. :(

the shutter,Im pretty sure..will either be the rotating wheel at the back or the wheel on the top right.. you can change in the menu which one.. between Iris and Shutter.. for either of those two wheels.. there is a cheap 1.8 50mm ($300) approx Sony lens.. the a6300 doesn't have internal body stabilization so you will have to buy a Sony lens to have steady shot..(a6500 does).. its not a bad little camera really.. great for gimbals..

the shutter,Im pretty sure..will either be the rotating wheel at the back or the wheel on the top right.. you can change in the menu which one.. between Iris and Shutter.. for either of those two wheels.. there is a cheap 1.8 50mm ($300) approx Sony lens.. the a6300 doesn't have internal body stabilization so you will have to buy a Sony lens to have steady shot..(a6500 does).. its not a bad little camera really.. great for gimbals..

I found it, though it wasn't exactly easy. it's a really odd setting.

50mm is not all that wide to me. I wonder if there is anything a bit wider that isn't fish eye? Searching Amazon from here is ridiculously painful to do. It usually errors out. Searching anything from here is tough.

Any recommendations with links is really appreciated.

Its going to be tough to get Shallow DoF on a wide angle lens .. even a fast one.. in a room.. unless its massive one.. have a check of 50mm .. you can get 2 shot loose head and shoulders if you have the space..and they are sitting close together.. and your background will have some level of "out of focus" look..

Yeah some of the spaces in which I am being asked to shoot are confining. Unfortunately the folks wanting video have zero clue about how it is done or what one needs to achieve a shallow depth of field. And they expect everything to be easy and fast. *sigh*

After waiting a loooong time for the search function to come back I found this lens...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHZUM5Q/?coliid=IG4RJVNY0FIXO&colid=LVXD2YUUA1T1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I wonder how good this would be in my situation. Low light shooting will be a must in many cases over here.

• Premium Member

Matt,

I have that Sony 35mm lens. Its great but don't forget that it's designed for that APS-C sensor. So you will approximately get the same field of view as a 50mm lens when working in 35mm format. I use this lens for portraits and close ups. For a wide lens I wound up getting a good deal on eBay for the Zeiss Touit 12mm which winds up looking like the field of view of an 18mm. But again a shallow depth of field with a wide lens is only going to be apparent when focused on subjects very close to the lens.

f

• Premium Member

David,

Of course, you are correct. I meant full frame. I was just reminding Matt that the Sony 1.8 35mm lens in question will not render a wide angle field of view.

Matt,

I also have the Sony 20mm (which is about 35mm equivalent field of view in full frame). This might work for you.

good luck

f

• Premium Member

I have a Sony NEX6 and Sony A6500, both APS-C sensors -- I have a 16mm wide-angle lens with some adaptors to make it even more wide-angle, for security camera type shots, but for my still photography I don't use it. I have a 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm plus a 16-70mm T/4 zoom and the tiny kit 16-50mm variable stop zoom. I also have a telephoto zoom. The 20mm is a very small lens, which is nice.