Punch Drunk Love - Movement in comedy

Gabriel Wilson

Re watching "Punch-Drunk Love" as I prep to shoot a dark comedy in a few months and wanted to look at the camera movement. Can anyone tell me how much was shot on Steadicam and how much is dolly? Any behind the scenes shots? would love some other comedies for reference. The push in's seem so smooth but I am assuming they are still Steadicam work?

• 3 weeks later...

Which push in shots in specific? Steadicam shots are in the corridors in both LA and Hawaii, some of the scenes in Barry's apartment (I think, although there's dolly shots there, too), the fight scenes and a dolly was used for the other moving shots, if I recall correctly. This link might be of some help: http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.ca/2003/04/interview-behind-scenes-with-robert_20.html

Anderson said he "watched a lot of Woody Allen romances" while writing it, so there's some references. However, as for visuals, the key references would be "The Band Wagon", "A Woman is a Woman", and several Jacques Tati movies. It's my favourite movie of all time after "Apocalypse Now" and I should be able to offer some more references once I get some sleep but I hope that helped a bit.