Samuel Berger

So you've decided to buy a camera. Do you buy the extended warranty?

Adorama wants $689 for extended warranty and protection against spills+drop damages on the Canon EOS C200.

Has anyone ever used a service like that? It's provided through NewLeaf, a company I've never heard of.

B&H offers 3 years of Drops & Spills protection for $789 so Adorama seems the better deal. But B&H uses Squaretrade, which I actually know about.

Any opinions?

Edited by Samuel Berger

I wouldn't here, but we have very good consumer protection legislation so I wouldn't need the extended warranty. But the rest of it is really insurance. It's your call.

Drops and spills sounds rather domestic, not the sort of thing likely to happen to professional equipment. I wouldn't, but I usually pay £250 for a camera, not £5000.

The question you're always supposed to ask is "could I afford to replace it"?- if no, insure, if yes, don't.

I've never bought anything of the sort; since on set, the gear should be covered by production insurance, and at home, you get a rider on your home-owners or renter's policy to protect it.

Samuel may be thinking of his own shows, as I am, where production insurance is as rare as a C-stand in England.

In that case I'd just carry my own production insurance so you could more easily rent what's needed, or take whatever "premium" you want to "pay" and throw it into an interest bearing account as a rainy day fund.

I decided against it, it's really way too much money and Consumer Reports says to not get it.

What's funny is how common it is for people who use this kind of "drops & spills" warranty, to claim it when a wife threw the item at them.

Hm, maybe I should get it.