SR3 vs. XTR vs. 416

Jacob Mitchell

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if NegLab is still open, but if they are then that's at least ONE lab that does all the formats.

Yes I think Neglab is still open, but it's a small boutique lab, not really geared for large feature film productions.

• Premium Member

Sorry to veer off-topic, but there was a great little film made about Werner fom Neglab that made the Tropfest finals this year, called The Last Man Standing, which gives an idea of the state of "film" film production in this country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzXOntb1Wc&index=1&list=PLZ4MsBTSmdgZXnpmekr2ANHsdoDxk6kQk

• Upvote 1

OHHHHHHHHH interesting, clever. Ya can't swing it over anyway because the video tap is in the way on the XTR.

On docs we never had any video tap.. Im pretty sure you could swing it right over.. if this magic screw was taken out.. but it was to do with some design patent that Arri had that Aaton had to do this round about thing..

These were XTR,s in the 80,s..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

35mm camera rental in Australia is virtually non-existent, and has been for about 5 years. The death knell was probably when the last major lab, Deluxe, closed in 2013.

oh shame.. I was an AC in SYD back in the late 70,s early 80,s.. remember canning up rushes for deluxe .. and did Atlab have a branch there..? And going out to Sammies in North Ryde.. ?.. it became Lemac..

• Premium Member

oh shame.. I was an AC in SYD back in the late 70,s early 80,s.. remember canning up rushes for deluxe .. and did Atlab have a branch there..? And going out to Sammies in North Ryde.. ?.. it became Lemac..

I started at Sammies in Artarmon in the 90s, up the road from Atlab. Sammies got bought by Panavision.

Sorry to veer off-topic, but there was a great little film made about Werner fom Neglab that made the Tropfest finals this year, called The Last Man Standing, which gives an idea of the state of "film" film production in this country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzXOntb1Wc&index=1&list=PLZ4MsBTSmdgZXnpmekr2ANHsdoDxk6kQk

Thank you for this Dom! I just love these oldtimer craftsmen how stand so calm on the edge of the abyss.

You mean being able to move it from one side to another?

No, I mean being able to use it left-eyed. The 'knuckle' in the Arri viewfinder is articulated in 2 axis, so you can swing the eyepiece away slightly. The Aaton never had that. Made handheld work very uncomfortable.

"This video is not available".

• Premium Member

No, I mean being able to use it left-eyed. The 'knuckle' in the Arri viewfinder is articulated in 2 axis, so you can swing the eyepiece away slightly. The Aaton never had that. Made handheld work very uncomfortable.

Ohh left eyed! Never thought about that. I never understood left eye vs right eye dominance. I rarely close my other eye when looking into a viewfinder, I've just trained myself to ignore it.

• Premium Member

On docs we never had any video tap.. Im pretty sure you could swing it right over.. if this magic screw was taken out.. but it was to do with some design patent that Arri had that Aaton had to do this round about thing..

These were XTR,s in the 80,s..

The Gen 1 and 2 XTR's didn't have the tap block sticking out the side like the Plus and the Prod. So you could swing it over, but there was no way to re-orient the image like the SR3, making the function pretty worthless.

The Gen 1 and 2 XTR's didn't have the tap block sticking out the side like the Plus and the Prod. So you could swing it over, but there was no way to re-orient the image like the SR3, making the function pretty worthless.

Yes I think you would have to set it up permanently on the "left eye side".. I actually only came across one "left eyed " DP all there years I was an assistant .. and he had an SR of course.. he was also left handed.. so the pan bar was on the "wrong" side too

Thanks for the link to Werner film!

Does Panavision Melbourne still have any film cameras available for rent in Australia? Or is that all finished now? I'd imagine it couldn't be very good for them sitting on the shelf unused for years.

• Premium Member

Yes I think you would have to set it up permanently on the "left eye side".. I actually only came across one "left eyed " DP all there years I was an assistant .. and he had an SR of course.. he was also left handed.. so the pan bar was on the "wrong" side too

Yes, we are a rare breed. Struggling in the right man's world.

Yes, we are a rare breed. Struggling in the right man's world.

haha.. this guy was left handed too..the very talented Chris Cox.. so the whole camera and tripod was set up.. mirror image..it was odd when you walked up to the camera to get focus points.. and found it impossible to operate :)

• Premium Member

I can switch the optical viewfinder on my Alexa Studio from right eye to left in about 10 seconds (and from spherical to anamorphic in about 2 seconds). You can also rotate the image in the viewfinder to whatever off-axis angle you need.

It's brilliant for all those times you stuffed into corner or some other odd cameraman yoga position.