Can You Make a Kodak 16mm magazine accept single perf?

It's just a regular Kodak Magazine 16. No other model number. Lens is just the basic 25mm.

Hmm, something is causing jams randomly. Was working then not. Pull out, put in and it works again. Then jams again.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

New user, dredging up zombie topics seems to be my thing.

Long story, but I've recently been given a Cine-Kodak Magazine 16 camera and want to run a couple of films through it for nostalgic reasons (nostalgia on the part of its owner, not mine!)  I've bought some magazines to reload, I have lots of film, and I stumbled across this thread and have what I hope is not a really stupid question:

If you spool some single perf film off of its original reel or core, onto an intermediate reel... then spool it back onto the little plastic core from a magazine... is it not then turned the right way around to have the single row of teeth on the drive wheel pull it properly through the magazine along the original film path, with the emulsion facing the outside?  No need for all this hackery with different paths and turning parts around?

Or am I missing something?

Duncan

• Premium Member
On 1/7/2021 at 9:02 AM, Duncan Brown said:

Or am I missing something?

Another forum user kindly pointed out to me privately exactly what I am missing, and it's the pulldown claw slot on the cartridge.  That is on the opposite side from the sprockets on the drive wheel.  The pulldown claw is critical, so you need perfs on that side (against the bottom plate of the magazine) no matter what, end of story.  Since the drive sprocket nubs are on the other side, that means you either need double-perf film... or you need to thread the magazine in such a way as to avoid that drive sprocket... and one such way was shown earlier in this thread.

Oh well, it was a nice idea...

Duncan

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2021 at 10:34 PM, Dennis Toeppen said:

Just buy double-perforated film. I have an idea where you can get it: www.toeppenfilm.com

Hey!  That's fantastic that someone is doing that!  But for a tinkerer like me, where is the fun in that, ha!

(I also just picked up a small pile of not-crazy-old NOS Tri-X magazines, which I'll try shooting at a lower EI and pull-processing, and see if I can get usable images, just to test out this camera)

Duncan