Scratch test result - Arrimag 120 - help

Matt Figler

Hey all,

Just scratch tested an older magazine (35mm Arrimag 120) and while it seemed to be fine, on closer inspection of the 20' short end I ran through it seemed the mag is scratching the non-emulsion side of the negative, just along the outside and somewhat also on the edge of the perfs. See photo!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjxtk8ao9c8u5ly/perf.jpg?dl=0

Is this something to be concerned with as its outside the picture area? Is this normal, I also finger turned the film through the magazine throat and watched it enter clean and come out with that thin scratch. Any ideas about how to remedy this. The emulsion side looked flawless btw.

Thanks!

post-66655-0-03812100-1526052099_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

You shouldn't be getting scratching like that, even if it's outside the picture area and on the backing, the dust can contaminate the film and camera.

I used to regularly clean magazine throats from film chips and set the roller spacing to make sure the gap was sufficient in order to prevent this sort of thing. But it's been a number of years now and I've forgotten the details. If I had one in front of me it would come back, but I don't have any Arrimags on hand.

I recall that you can remove the throat by undoing the 4 Allen screws but I think you also need to remove the drive gear.

The sprocket roller spacing was adjusted with a simple eccentric (once some holding screws were loosened), which was a slotted screw in the middle of one edge of the throat assembly. I would feed two thicknesses of film through the entry and exit paths and adjust until they passed through both smoothly.

Sorry for the sketchy memory, perhaps taking it to an established rental house technician (along with a couple of 6-packs) might be a good idea. :)

• Premium Member

We often see those edge scratches. I dont think theres any worry. It would be good to know if the film you used to test was already scratched? Always use clean film to scratch test.

G