535A vs ARRICAM ST

Sanji Robinson

• Premium Member

Well the Arricam system is more versatile and modular, with different magazine mounting options, viewfinders and magazines to adapt to different needs. The two Arricams cover everything from studio to handheld/Steadicam requirements, there are 2, 3 and 4 perf movements that can be interchanged, and the separately controlled mirror/shutter allows speed ramps and electronically controlled shutter angle adjustments that were previously only possible with the 435. The IVS is improved, and Arricams have LDS capability. From a technical perspective, the Arricam mags are much simpler to maintain, and never need tension or sprocket adjustments (being fully electronic), and the movement and transport path are slightly more elegant, accessible and robust.

But the 535 combined with a 435 was a perfectly decent system, and many great films were shot on those cameras. Weight and modular flexibility are probably the main improvements that the Arricam system introduced.

Well the Arricam system is more versatile and modular, with different magazine mounting options, viewfinders and magazines to adapt to different needs. The two Arricams cover everything from studio to handheld/Steadicam requirements, there are 2, 3 and 4 perf movements that can be interchanged, and the separately controlled mirror/shutter allows speed ramps and electronically controlled shutter angle adjustments that were previously only possible with the 435. The IVS is improved, and Arricams have LDS capability. From a technical perspective, the Arricam mags are much simpler to maintain, and never need tension or sprocket adjustments (being fully electronic), and the movement and transport path are slightly more elegant, accessible and robust.

But the 535 combined with a 435 was a perfectly decent system, and many great films were shot on those cameras. Weight and modular flexibility are probably the main improvements that the Arricam system introduced.

Thank you Dom.

The 535A does have controlled mirror/shutter ramp capability. The B version doesn't.

The problem with arricam magazines is that they are displacement mags and not coaxial. Coaxial mags have a clear feed and take-up side.

Does the 535 mags need tension and sprocket adjustments?

I 100% agree on weight improvement with the arricam.

• Premium Member

Actually, I think I'm remembering 35BL mags, with the sprocket and take-up adjustments, 535 mags are electronic like Arricam mags. I do recall cleaning that spiral film channel a lot, and replacing the odd light seal.

I only worked on the 535B, so you know more about the A than I do. (And it's over ten years since I've had to look at a 535!)

There are certainly advantages to co-axial mags, but Arricam mags are very straightforward and easy to load.