Filters for Bolex H8 Rex 4

Bibhusan Basnet

I've recently bought a Bolex H8 with 3 prime lenses from eBay. I'm going to receive the camera in about a week's time. According to the seller, the camera doesn't have a slot for filters behind the lens so I'll have to use drop in filters.

Since I don't have the camera with me I have no idea as to what filter size these primes use. Is the filter size same for all three lenses ? Do I need an adapter ?

Any online stores or eBay listings of ND filters for these cameras ?

I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Bibhusan, do you mean the three Kern-Paillard Macro-Switar lenses for H8? As Simon rightly says, 12,5-5,5-36?

if yes, they have a diameter of 32mm, all three, as you can read in attachment image from H8 instruction manual.

You can consider this thread interesting:

But I summarize here by saying that:

32mm filters are rare to find, it's more convenient to buy adapter rings. The measurement of adapter ring for you is 32mm male to...diameter of filters you want to buy or you have already!

I had so many (80A, ND, etc.) 49mm diameter filters because I always used them with the same H8, but with a Pan Cinor zoom lens with 49mm diameter of filter holder of lens hood. For this reason, in the end, I found a 32mm male to 49mm female ring adapter and I'm OK, I had no vignetting problems. But, attention, everything it can be different, vignetting risk depending on the size of the filters and size of the adapter rings. The biggest risk is with 5.5 lens, but I don't know how big this risk is. I did not have any vignetting problems, as I said.

post-61102-0-39894000-1526256013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luigi Castellitto

Ah, the Bolex H8 models never had the comfortable filter slot behind the lens like the H16 version. MAYBE only in cases it was self-installed, if possible, but I've never seen it before. My H8 Rex 4 does not have it.

If any Bolex expert who wants to deny it ... I'd be curious to know if it ever existed. :)

Another important thing: my adapter ring has a 0.5mm (but I think that 0,75mm it's also Ok) thickness of the threaded part of the male side of adapter, towards the Macro Switars, and it's Ok...
While my adapter has 0.75mm thickness on female threaded part for receive the filters. In my case, with all my filters, all went well, but you have to be lucky with the thickness of the threaded part of the filters you want to mount. Although, usually, 0.75mm is a fairly standard measure.