Recommendations for a new DSLR

Hello,

Hopefully I can ask this question here.

I am looking to get a new DSLR camera for filming. I wont ask what the best one is, since thats like asking what the best fishing lure is...also, some of the best DSLRs cost almost as much as some cinema cameras.

But hopefully some of you here could help me at least narrow one down. Im not in the position to test different cameras and my only experience is with the Canon 1200D aka Rebel T5, so I cant make informed decisions as I have nothing to compare it to.

Just looking for something sharp and good in low light...something I can bring out smooth, stunning images withno artifacting or noise. And of course, affordable. Im just a regular working stiff and I cant drop $5,000.00.

Also, I have a couple Rokinon Cine lenses with the EOS mounts. So a camera that I could use them with (via adapter or whatever) would be great. If thats even a thing.

A long shot here, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

• Premium Member

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs/W-CIN-12

This camera and the more expensive Panasonic GH5S (same M4/3 sensor in both) are the only still cameras that record video in something better than 8-bit 4:2:0. Your main limitation is the M4/3 sensor size so your Canon lenses will get cropped in view, and youd need an EF to M4/3 adaptor.

Or you live with the limitations of 8-bit video but you compensate with the quality and low-noise of a full-frame sensor camera like the Sony A7S 2.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7sm2

Do you want a DSLR because you also want to take pictures, or because you're going for affordability?

And what do you want to shoot?

As far as bang for buck goes, the BMPCC4K is certainly "exciting" when you consider pricepoint and features ($1300 and includes Resolve Studio). It's scheduled for release in September. Unfortunately Blackmagic has some history of missing launch dates and delivering buggy first-gen devices, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it took until January or February 2019 before it was worth buying. Or they could release it early and it could be flawless/amazing. Hard to say.

Also on the vaporware front is the Sony A7SIII. Unclear whether Sony will push 4k/10bit/60p into the cam as that would require a processor update and potentially threaten the 4k60p-less FS5 MKII, which they've been loathe to do. But the company recently did an about face on color science and have been pushing their revised look into new cams, so maybe times are a changing and they're going to try to compete on specs. No speculated release date. The rumor mill says an announcement was supposed to take place this week but the recent success of the A7III (sold out everywhere) caused a delay. Worst case scenario probably announced at Photokina in September and available shortly after.

Finally, Canon is rumored to have a mirrorless video something or other that's actually out in the field and being tested, but no indication as to whether that will even be released this year.

But if things like 4k / 10 bit / 60p / RAW / AF don't matter that much to you or you really want to buy something today, there may be better options than waiting, just depends on your needs and priorities.

Edited by David Coughlan

I think the new Sony A7III is by far the best bang for the buck in the DSLR world now.. about $2K body only..its only 8 bit but I think its 422 internal recording.. it really depends if you want to shoot Log (8 bit will limit your post).. if not its less of a concern..

Do a quick google search.. it has many features of the more exp A series.. and some are better.. AF and video.. for shooting 4K its better than the A7r.. as it reads off the full sensor.. and down samples to 4K from 6K.. A7r crops the sensor for 4K.. both can set to rec at APSC crop too though..

I dont havde any shares in Sony.. :).. but this camera is really very good value..

Do you want a DSLR because you also want to take pictures, or because you're going for affordability?

And what do you want to shoot?

Yes, I'm looking at DSLRs mostly for affordability and because, well, its all I know. I dont really care about taking pictures. I know its all backwards and Ill probably catch hell for it. But I just dont think photography is all that interesting. I know its good to understand the fundamentals, as still photography is the language of cimematography. I appreciate this. But I just dont care about snapping photos, sharing them on social media for a few likes, and sticking them in some folder somewhere to be forgotten. Anybody with a smartphone can do photography these days.

As far as what I plan on shooting, Im a hobbyist. I have a some cool ideas and I want to make short films. I dont plan on shooting travel videos (or whatever you call them), but I do hunt and I enjoy filming my hunts. I would also like to do music videos for local bands. Maybe make cool, interesting stuff for work (firefighting stuff).

Anyway, if I could afford it I would just buy a nice cinema camera. But again, the DSLR is all I am familiar with.

While on this topic, would it be unwise to buy a used cinema camera? I found a site when doing a google search (it seemed reputable) and I saw a couple Canon C100s for about as much as Im willing to pay for a DSLR.

All the 4K stuff isnt necessarily high on my priority list, but options are nice.

Ive heard it said time and time again that DSLRs are photography cameras that happen to shoot video. And I have a lower-end model. Which sucks. My biggest issue with this thing is the artifacts and noise that I just cant seem to shake...no matter what lighting or how well the image is exposed (I made a thread about it).

When I get my next camera, that will be it for quite some time. So I want to get this right and not screw myself.

While on this topic, would it be unwise to buy a used cinema camera? I found a site when doing a google search (it seemed reputable) and I saw a couple Canon C100s for about as much as Im willing to pay for a DSLR.

This is why I asked about the still shooting. If you don't care about stills, cine cameras should definitely be in the mix. Very hard to argue against the BMPCC4K (outside of the caveats already mentioned) for your needs, if you can wait.

In the meantime, have you looked into Magic Lantern for squeezing some life out of your T5?

There's some risk of bricking the cam, so don't attempt if you can't afford to lose it, but if you follow instructions should be pretty smooth sailing.

edit: this guy has some of the shakiest cam hands I've ever seen, but you should be able to handle noise/artifacting a bit better with RAW

Edited by David Coughlan

Yes! I did look into magic lantern a while ago for just this reason (shooting RAW). I went on the Canon forum to ask if anybody had experience with it. And everybody there pretty much condemned it. Turns out they dont take too kindly to that kind of stuff there.

I didnt end up installing magic lantern, mostly just chickened out. I did, however, install that cinestyle profile...I guess thats the next best thing.

The difference isnt THAT noticeable when editing. I dont think.

forums at Canon are _not_ where you would want to ask about MLantern. it's kinda like going to your Honda dealer to get input on the new Subaru Ascent. i've used MLantern a bit for focus peaking & zebras & such but haven't messed with RAW. although you are wise to head the warnings about it possibly bricking your camera, i think it's a fairly rare event. i've also been looking toward upgrading from my T3i and have been looking into mirrorless options as well as something more directly "cinema" like Ursa Mini Pro. the recent announcements on the BMPCC4K just stunned me that i could get something that potent for _less_ than the other options on my table so i ordered one and am really looking forward to getting it in my hands.

Oh, Ive been eyeing the new BMPCC a little bit. Part of me wants to go for it. But, like many things in the tech world, the first wave can be a little dicey...bugs and whatnot. So Ive heard.

Plus another concern is the mount. Not sure if I would be able to adapt it for my lenses. I really like them. And they cost me a pretty penny. I really dont want to have to buy all new glass.

I also watched some videos on the URSA mini. Not sure if its too much for me or what. I dont really know what other stuff I would need to buy for it.

This is tough.

Oh, Ive been eyeing the new BMPCC a little bit. Part of me wants to go for it. But, like many things in the tech world, the first wave can be a little dicey...bugs and whatnot. So Ive heard.

Plus another concern is the mount. Not sure if I would be able to adapt it for my lenses. I really like them. And they cost me a pretty penny. I really dont want to have to buy all new glass.

I also watched some videos on the URSA mini. Not sure if its too much for me or what. I dont really know what other stuff I would need to buy for it.

This is tough.

The first wave of a product is dicey, and with Blackmagic it's extra dicey. But at the same time, the camera is so cheap, and from what I've seen BM is pretty good about fixing/replacing things if they need replacing. For the price, I think that's an okay tradeoff. And who knows, maybe they'll get it right straight out the gate.

The Ursa mini is pretty great, but again the reliability issue rears its head. Google variations on "Ursa Mini Sensor problems" etc. and you see tons of results. Google similar things with something like the C200 and nada. Personally I think it's too much money to drop on something that's likely to have an issue with it.

You can adapt your glass with a Metabones adapter. They're pretty popular. Obviously not as ideal as native, but plenty of people use them.

As far as Magic Lantern goes, I think it's gotten safer and easier to install/work with over the years. I imagine 4k 10 bit RAW would offer a nice step up from whatever the T5 offers but perhaps not.