Hey everyone, I am looking to upgrade from my 5dmrk3. I am currently indecisive on whether I should go with the A73 or the new GH5s. The reasons I want to go with the a73 is that I won't have to change any of my lenses, aside from an adapter that I would have to get. This at the same time presents a possible problem in that, I will be using this camera on a gimbal from time to time, and I've read that most adapters don't support auto focus. The reason for going with the GH5s is the 10 bit 4:2:2 capture. My problem is that I don't know if the benefits of the GH5s are worth the trouble of selling my lenses and switching to M4/3 lenses. Although I notice the benefits of 10 bit,and I would prefer it ,being in the lower budget projects, and being on a budget, I'm not sure my clients will notice theses differences.

Any experience you guys may have with these cameras would be great to hear about, as this is a big purchase for me, I want to make sure its the right camera that will last a while.

Thank You

Eric S.

I dont think 8 bit is the end of the world ..depending on your post demands.. we have all become a bit obsessed with pixel peeking and manufactures marketing babble.. it was only a few years ago that 8 bit 50 Mbps Long GOP was the highest standard and huge budget programs were made this way without audiences being up in arms about it not being 10bit 4K 300 Mbps.. and storming the gates of the BBC.. baying for blood.. plus everyone is watching on iPhones anyway.. :)

I dont think 8 bit is the end of the world ..depending on your post demands.. we have all become a bit obsessed with pixel peeking and manufactures marketing babble.. it was only a few years ago that 8 bit 50 Mbps Long GOP was the highest standard and huge budget programs were made this way without audiences being up in arms about it not being 10bit 4K 300 Mbps.. and storming the gates of the BBC.. baying for blood.. plus everyone is watching on iPhones anyway.. :)

Yea, thats what I was thinking as well. Thank you for the reply

Depends hugely on your needs ..Broadcast or not..(Ive had Natgeo say no to XAVC S but other times Ive used my a6300 as an interview B camera for broadcast shows).. but if you need log 10 bit..422 as a client requirement .. I would think its better to get an actual video camera ..

I was just speaking generally but of course the best thing is to shoot test footage.. and be sure of your client codec requirements ..