LEDs with 2000W+ incandescent equivalence?

• Premium Member

Not really. I usually work on the basis that an LED needs to have about 20% the power of a tungsten light in order to achieve similar output. This is very, very variable with the type of lamp house it's put in, though, so be careful you're comparing similar fruit. Still, this means you would need a 400W LED and that barely exists, let alone at your price.

An Aputure COB-300D may come close to a 2K tungsten fresnel, given some credit for being a highly efficient open-faced device. It is of course less controllable than a fresnel and will be much less powerful when fitted with the Bowens-mount fresnel adaptor.

Otherwise at that price you're into the 5" LED fresnels (Hedler Profilux 1000, Nanguang CN-200F) but they are at or below 200W and will not be as bright as an otherwise equivalent tungsten. The likes of the Zylight F8-200 or Outsight Creamsource are gorgeous but will blow your budget right out of the water, and they're still not 2K equivalent.

The best approach is to consider what you're going to do with it. If you're going to diffuse it through a 4x4, then by far the best option is something like the Aladdin Fabric Light. It's only 200W, but it's a big flexible panel you can rig in a frame and will hugely exceed the output of a 2K tungsten fresnel through diffusion, as well as being far faster and easier to rig, because the fresnel and the diffusion is so woefully inefficient optically, let alone the efficiency of the light bulb. LED, conversely, does this very well by spreading small, low-power, low stress components over a wide area.

Trying to make it do point sources is currently rather hard work and that shows rather unfortunately in the price-to-brightness ratio.

P

• Upvote 1

Only thing I've seen that's close is the litepanels Hilio - about 350w and a spot source but has >2K output. If you have the ability to control (DMX) the light, there's a unit by Elation Lighting which is a bit north of $2000 and will FAR exceed a 2k - unit called the Paladin. It's 1200 w of LED - and in real world use it'll go toe-to-to with a 4K hmi with slightly less spread to get that output. It has remote controllable zoom optics and is an RGBW fixture. Not designed for film use but with some ingenuity it can do some incredible things - and compete more in output with 10K units.

• Premium Member

has >2K output

The question that has to be asked here is "based on what and according to whom." Wild claims of equivalence to various tungsten devices are made but unless we know what sort of device it is and what it's being compared to it's hard to make sense of this. Equating a 350W LED to 2000W of tungsten isn't out of the realms of possibility but it is fairly ambitious.

P

That’s a fair point. Full spot, a dedologht 150 is brighter than a 2k fresnel center beam. But obviously you’re not getting the spread. So like beam for like beam (comparing spread not shadow quality) in real world use I find the Hilio to be noticeably more output than a 400 hmi and about the same output as a 2k fresnel.

I think the 300d is as good as it gets as this point. I found this comparison helpful.

In another video I have seen it being compared to a 2k tungsten. With frsnel at flood it's actually on par with 2k tungsten. In spot mode it's much less powerful though