Industry Lavalier Microphones?

Max Field

I heard brands like Countryman thrown around, but could anyone give industry standard model names of any brand which you'll see used for professional interviews?

Bonus points for Sweetwater or B&H links.

Thanks much!

Edited by Macks Fiiod

The Sennheiser MKE2 EW Gold Laveliers are a solid option. Good for speech, very small and un-intrusive in the shot.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_mke2_ew_gold-c.htm

Can't comment on the countrymans.

At the Uni I teach at we went with the Sennheisers for our kit store, mainly because we are using the MKH 50, 60 and 416's as boom mics. So felt maybe sticking to one brand would help keep the sound more consistant when mixing microphones. Not sure if it actually matters... We have two of the gold series and they are very good

Most sound peeps I work with have a wide variety for different situations. Countryman B6 for hiding in plain sight and because they don't sweat-out as easily as other mics. Sanken Cos11 I see more often than anything else for general usage, sounds very open and are known to "cut well with a boom" though most people I know are moving toward DPA 4060 series because they sound nicer. You still see tram TR-50 a fair amount - they're easy to use and they were the flavor of the day like 10yr ago so they're kicking around a lot of kits. I see them used as "beater" mics more often now and on car visors etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Sanken COS-11D are surely the most popular choice on bigger budget productions.

DPA 4016 is another popular alternative, and is what I've got half a dozen of myself.

Oscar SoundTech lavs are a popular low budget choice which gives you a lot of bang for you buck, and I use several of those as well.

• 1 month later...

Just for sake of completeness I would like to mention Bartlett Audio, Weaverville NC. I don't know if these are useful for filmmaking but I have one of these lavalier mics and it is really great for music performance. Very high quality sound for a great price.

• 2 weeks later...