Canon Scoopic 16 where to measure for focus?

Ryan Fleet

Does anyone know how I would measure for focus using an original Model Canon Scoopic 16?

I don't see a "phi" mark on the camera body and I don't see a green ring around the lens barrel to signify TV/Broadcast lens.

Do I just guess the film plane and go from there or would I measure from the front of the lens?

Thanks,

-Ryan

• Premium Member

The manual should indicate the film position mark, just behind the model name plate on the door.

At any rate it's easy enough to estimate where the film plane is, just by opening the door and seeing where the gate is. Most of the time you'd be focussing by eye anyway.

• 9 months later...

I have seen two versions of the gray Scoopic, one is very old and it doesn't have a focusing mark, but the newer version has it on the film compartment door. The trigger of the old version cannot be locked and it has only 3 screws on the tripod plate screw vs four on the other model. Both of them are gray Scoopics, but there are difference between them.

• 1 month later...

Will,

My original model Scoopic was pretty accurate as well, after I found the film plane and then marked on the outside as Dom suggested and Robert did. 

I have no complaints with the original Scoopic other than the obvious lens is just not sharp on the original Scoopic. I've since sold the Scoopic and bought a Bolex Rex 4 which I'm happier with. However, the Scoopic is a great camera and one day I would definitely love to try out the MS version.

Edited by Ryan Fleet