Lighting kit for narrative

Hey guys

I usually rent lights whenever I need them for a production, but now I was kind of hoping to buy a very simple kit of lights that I can use in small productions (mainly narrative work). I don't want to budget a lot for this (otherwise I'd just keep renting), so probably LEDs are a bit out of reach as the really good ones are still expensive.

I just want good tungsten lights with dimmers that are light enough to be portable and used on light tripods. If you had to go for a lighting kit that's not expensive at all (let's say 700usd) but good enough to shoot any small production, what would it be? Let's assume we can have some complex lighting and not just 3-point stuff... Oh and the budget doesn't include flags, gels, etc, but I would like it to include some sort of soft box...

Thanks!

• Premium Member

There really is none I can think of. The cheapest kit that I could imagine using on most shoots was the old arri soft-bank kit I used to use which had a 650/300/2x 150s-- it was mostly for interview stuff; but even on narrative, I'd use it all the time for something.

Maybe grab an Aperture 300D or something, it's beyond your budget, but even that is something you could probably use on every shoot which would justify owning it. Or maybe some used Kino 4x4s-- as those again, could be used on just about every shoot for something. In fact the only lights I own are 6x "as kino" 1x4s as I got them for $200usd used-- but that's not a deal you're likely to find just anywhere-- though again while I could use them on every shoot, they rarely come out of my truck because they aren't a "main" light.

Not the advice I think you want to hear, but it's pretty honest.

What about something like this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1203052-REG/came_tv_j10002_j6502_sd14_dm14_b5_fresnel_tungsten_video_spotlight.html

It's fresnel fixture which I really like, because it allows me to direct my light and, if I want to, I can also diffuse it. It's a bummer it doesn't include the softboxes and I wonder if they actually have softboxes compatible with this model. Have to check that...

• Premium Member

Often those "as arri" lights are more trouble (and potentially hazardous in wiring) then they are worth. They'll often smoke, a lot, and blow bulbs or just be rather jankey with their yolks/locks etc. Not un-usable, and I've actually found them on some rental "packages" here in LA, but-- I'd much rather track a used Mole or something similar.

check around different rental houses. They sell often sell used gear for reasonable prices. The lights you might buy from them are usually very well maintained and of high quality. Like real arri fresnels and such.

I bought a lot of old fresnel lights and tungsten softlights off ebay, it's doable even in europe

Its nice to have a basic light package that you can use, but keep in mind that stands and cstands and flags and floppies and frames all cost money too and there isnt any shiny new LED making the old stands obsolete

just get some used Lowel, redheads(Ianiro), colortran, or the like. You can easily put a softbox on a lowel DP. You will need to spend just as much on stands, grip gear, and modifiers as you will on lights.