Portadrive

Manu Anand

Was recently working on a shoot where the sound department was having a nightmare of a time.

Basically the sound recordist had acquired the new 8 track portadrive and was facing a lot or problems.

After five days of shooting the machine basically packed up. Gave an error message that the portadrive people said they had never encountered in their testing.

Anyway luckily the sound recordist was able to transfer his data and hadn't lost that.

Anyway I think it was a new machine that came in after a few days and the same thing happened it packed up too after a few days but by now he was recording everything on DAT as well.

I guess it was the stressful indian environment.

Anyone been using the portadrive. How was your experience?

(I'm in the wrong forum for this sorta question I know but just thought I'd share this with all of you since we have this Production Sound Forum)

The sound recordist who is a good friend was quite distraught, having spent all that money.

Manu Anand

New Delhi

I dont think it was the dust and pollution alone. My friend thinks it was just overheating.Also we were shooting in Feb-March. The temp is around 10-25 degree celcius(pleasant).

Wonder what would happen if its used in peak summer when the temp is 45 degree celcius in north india. :blink:

Manu Anand

I think this is the result of the inevitable beta-testing that users of any new technology must endure before said technology has been perfected. I am very excited to use the new higher resolution recorders but fear that they may still need a little tweaking -- I guess that only the Deva has been around for long enough that it's evolved from this state?

Tim