Ziess Ikon Moviscop

Steven Budden

• 6 years later...
  • Premium Member

There's a free German language manual on this page:

http://www.webjam.com/cinetechnique/super_8/$journal/2009/04/08/zeiss_ikon_moviscope__visionneuse_8_mm_ou_16_mm

Click on "mode d'emploi.."

You can also buy an English manual for 6 bucks here:

http://www.texsales.com/proddetail.php?prod=OM6630&cat=7

Not sure if anyone ever came through, but I'm also looking for a copy of the manual if anyone has one and is willing to send it along. Thanks.

Here you go Jacob, this is the "official" Moviscop user manual for free. As you will see, it was written for the advanced Movie Maker to use at home.

Sadly, there isn't any repair or alignment info, or a parts list included. If anything went wrong, you sent it to an equipment repair house or distributor of editing equipment that dealt with Zeiss Ikon editing gear, or to Zeiss directly. There isn't much to go wrong with these viewers other than getting dust and hairs out of the prism mechanism.

The plastic aperture plate would wear down, and that had to be replaced. This happened faster if you have the model that has the pressure pad as outlined on the last page of the manual. But, you really have to run a lot of film through it. I don't know where you can get parts in the States off hand, you might have to track them down in Germany. Look for film editing supply houses.

Dust does accumulate on the prism and the lens located right below it, which really lowers the brightness and contrast of the image. Once you clean it you'll be amazed at the sharp image.

If you understand the principles behind these viewers, are mechanically inclined and know how to clean optics, these aren't that difficult to take apart, clean and re-align.

Charlie

MoviescopInst001.jpg

MoviescopInst002.jpg

MoviescopInst003-1.jpg

MoviescopInst004.jpg

MoviescopInst005.jpg

MoviescopInst006-1.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just got a hold of one of these & I have questions:

(A) How many different 'types" of models of the Moviskop did Zeiss make? I noticed that on my Moviskop the voltage is 125v but does not have easy turn knob as seen in the manual ( which is kindly provided above ) instead the knob has a silt as if to use a key,screwdriver, or whatever fits to turn it, however it does not turn easy, and I do not want to break. Currently it is @ 125 volts, so I should probably first change that to 110?

(B) Focusing knob. I feel like this is the main issue with my unit. Is there any way to troubleshoot this or fix the knob?

I threaded my film into the Moviskop and basically the only hitch I am facing is, no clear image in my viewer. I can only see 1 bulb which is horizontal and works, yet there is no image coming on my screen, what could be my issue be? Perhaps the voltage being 125 and not 110 is affecting the image.