Only Pick 2 Prime Lengths

This may largely come down to style, but would like to gather some varying opinions with reasonings.

You're only able to run with 2 primes for an indoors shoot, what 2 focal lengths do you take of the following?

21mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm

Bonus points for also posting your 3 prime arsenal.

Thanks

• Premium Member

21mm and either 32mm or 35mm.

My reason behind it is that I like shooting close ups with the 32 / 35mm and if I can use it for wide shots even better.

The 27mm (or the 29mm) is a great lens for close-ups too.

Actually my 3 prime arsenal is: 18mm or 21mm / 27mm / 32mm or 35mm.

Those are the three I have been using for the last two years.

Obviously it depends on the location, if I can be wide enough or have space to move around with the 21mm I won't use the 18mm but if the locations is mega tiny then I'll change the 21mm for the 18mm.

Have a lovely day.

• Upvote 1

25 and 85.

My everyday 3-prime arsenal is the Otus 28, 55, and 85. I'm mostly on the 28 and 85. And often wishing the 28 was a 24. I have the Tokina 11-16 to throw in once in a while when I need something extra wide. Might replace it with a Milvus at some point...

Edited by Joshua Csehak

• Premium Member

quite a lot. It just feels "right," to me. It's not something super easy to articulate, and it doesn't really matter to articulate it. It's almost like the difference between a 35 and a 40; it's not much in mm; but man, do they feel different-- even the slight difference in spacial compression is important, and in the end, it's almost one of those you like what you like things.

• Upvote 1