Home-made 45degree shutter

Charles Haine

So, a friend got a free IIC, and I'm shooting a music video with it, and I've been thinking about doing some shutter-angle effects. I've heard a lot of good reports of using tape to extend the shutter for these shots, but I'm still very nervous (and of course, it's not my IIC, though I would be getting the owner's permission first).

Anybody done this with their IIC successfully? Should I put this out of my mind? Any other little cool tricks of the IIC that I should consider?

thanks

chuck haine

the biggest advantage is the weight of the camera - use it for really dynamic moves (handheld, cranes etc)

I haven't ever used tape on my 11C - but I have the variable shutter and I have used it quite a bit - the effect is different for high fps, normal fps and slow fps

handcranking a 11C is something I want to get more into

thanks

Rolfe

I wouldn?t recommend putting tape on you shutter which is also your mirror. It is spinning at 24 revolutions a second and very carefully balanced. The tape could throw the balance of and screw up the shaft or motor or jam your camera in lots of horrible Or the tape could come loose and jam the mechanism. Bad idea.

I have done that with a carefully measured piece of black paper tape and my Arri SR, but I do agree with Bob that it is not a great idea. I enjoy tinkering with things and the challange to try it and it worked. But it was my camera and I would only have myself to blame if I broke something. Arri in Blauvelt, NY is not too far away if I needed to drop it off for repair. Remember it was MY CAMERA. Don't do it if you can't pay for repairs.

Tim