Sony F5 sensor size and lens crop factor

Steven Kirkby

Hi Guys,

Just looking to confirm some Sony F5 sensor size and lens crop factor.

Sony F5 = Super 35mm sensor

Super 35mm Crop Factor 1.5

So an 18mm lens on an F5 or any Super 35mm equivalent sensor is more like a 12mm lens?

As 18 / 1.5 = 12

Is this correct?

Thanks

Steve

If I’m not wrong,

Native 4perf S35 (which is simple the original frame size that was used in silent 35mm)

is something like 24.86mm x18.66mm, with a x1.39 crop factor.

The APS-C sensor which is 23.6mm x 15.5mm has a x1.5 crop factor.

I think the F5 sensor is somehow between these two values, with a sensor size of 24mm x 12,7 mm (native aspect ratio of 1.89), so it falls into the S35mm sensors range.

I’d not say that the 18mm becomes a 12mm, since the focal lenght of the lens doesn’t change, what changes is the angle of view.

So a 18mm lens on the F5 (without the crop sensor mode activated though, which would allow you to use S16mm lenses) has the same field of view of a 27mm set on the reference format (35mm).

The correct process is 18 x 1,5 = 27mm

That’s the reason why with small sensors like in the black magic pocket camera you will find hard to get a proper wide angle shot.

I hope I’m all correct with what I wrote :)

Cheers,

Stefano

Edited by Stefano Stroppa

Nope, you multiply crop factors (not divide). So an 18mm lens on a super 35mm camera has the equivalent field of view of a 27mm lens on a full frame camera. 18 x 1.5 is 27 (not 75 or 12)

Since super 35 is pretty much the standard format for film production. You don't really need to think about crop factors or need to compare it with full frame. Just work on getting used to the FOV offered by different focal lengths on super 35.

• Premium Member

I don't get the obsession over crop factors compared to full-frame 35mm unless you've spent your whole life shooting full-frame 35mm and only understand the field of view that certain focal lengths give you in that format.

Since I've mainly shot in Standard / Super 35mm cine, I know what an 18mm lens gives me, I don't have to imagine I'm using a 27mm lens on a full-frame camera first. Since APS-C is so similar in size to Standard / Super 35mm cine, I already know the sort of view that my 16-70mm Sony zoom gives me on my A6500, I don't need to figure out the full-frame equivalent.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get the obsession over crop factors compared to full-frame 35mm unless you've spent your whole life shooting full-frame 35mm and only understand the field of view that certain focal lengths give you in that format.

Since I've mainly shot in Standard / Super 35mm cine, I know what an 18mm lens gives me, I don't have to imagine I'm using a 27mm lens on a full-frame camera first. Since APS-C is so similar in size to Standard / Super 35mm cine, I already know the sort of view that my 16-70mm Sony zoom gives me on my A6500, I don't need to figure out the full-frame equivalent.

Exactly!

And often rather ironically many of these n00bs getting confused about the simple "crop factor" never have had any experience with 135 Format cameras anyway! As they've spent all their lives with the likes of a Canon Rebel DSLR or whatever.