Bolex Rex 4 Kipon FD to C mount (Infinity focus issues)

Ryan Fleet

Hey guys!

My Kipon FD to C mount Adapter doesn't allow my FD lenses to focus to infinity. I can close focus just fine. The adapter is screwed on all the way. At least it won't let me screw it on anymore. This is all judging from the viewfinder. I haven't shot any tests with the lens adapter combo.

I was hoping to get away with spending $40 on this Kipon adapter I purchased from adorama, instead of the $200 one that Les quoted for his custom machine made one. http://www.lesbosher.co.uk

Does anyone ever use FD lenses with their Bolex cameras anymore? Not much comes up on google or the forum search. Hard to find recent examples too. The one example of the Bolex EBM Super 16 shot with FD lenses by Elliot Rudman is incredible but almost a decade old now. I'm looking for recent examples and recent adapters that you guys are using that work. I do know Elliot got his custom made from Les.

But honestly, I rather just buy the kern switar lenses instead of using FD lenses with a $200 adapter especially if they are better quality anyway. Plus I only have 2 FD lenses for my AE-1 and nothing I'm dead set on using. I just thought it would be an easy way to have more options with lenses but I'm already running into an issue. The adapter does allow for my FD lenses aperture blade to move freely without any mod so that is a plus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ryan

post-61078-0-90072800-1530816663_thumb.jpg

post-61078-0-24382500-1530816710_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

You need to make sure the adapter is screwing all the way home, if anything is fouling it will seat the lens too far away from the film plane and cause exactly what you're finding - only being able to focus at close distances.

If it is seating properly (so the flat surface immediately in front of the adapter threads is sitting flush with the flat surface around the camera mount threads) then something is out of tolerance - either the adapter, the lens or the camera itself. Most likely the adapter.

Dom,

Thanks for the info, I went back and checked to see if the adapter is flush with the camera body and it is. The one thing I don't like about the adapter is it's lock/open mechanism is super loose it doesn't actually lock in place. I own a Fotodiox Pro FD to Sony E adapter and that actually locks in place. I just ordered the FD to C mount version from the same brand Fotodiox. If this doesn't work then maybe it's the lens.

Thanks again for the help!

I can't really tell from your pics but are you sure the adapter is not touching the chrome plated turret spring?

This would prevent proper seating. If this is the case, you might be able to grind some material off the inside of the spring to allow the lens to seat all the in.

I can't really tell from your pics but are you sure the adapter is not touching the chrome plated turret spring?

This would prevent proper seating. If this is the case, you might be able to grind some material off the inside of the spring to allow the lens to seat all the in.

I had trouble once with a Som Berthiot zoom mounted on to a RX turret Bolex. It seemed OK but the focus was wrong because I hadn't realised that the chrome spring was forcing it out slightly.

Thanks for the help everyone!

It ended up just being that adapter. My new one arrived today and it works great. Infinity focus is no issue.

So for anyone looking to use a C to FD mount adapter don't use the Kipon branded one.

I bought the fotodiox one and it works great!