Gripping Injuries?

Max Field

yeah- he then and went played some hoops after his injury.

I said work smart- whether it be on a union shoot or a non-union shoot.

We work with the same grip as motion.

Same stage power-

Same 500-1000amp Tow plants.

same 5-wire

same bates cable

same stingers

and by gosh sometimes we even use 1k lights on stands that might be 7 feet up.

Again- I support unions.

Tomorrow we will be at Universal- Union. :)

yeah- he then and went played some hoops after his injury.

Because it wasn't that bad, just startling. I'm lucky to have anatomy where the shoulder didn't stay dislocated. Other people may not be so lucky.

Ed Im a bit confused .. you say you are an owner of a stills rental shop.. so a shoot at Universal means you drive your van in the gates and off load the rental gear.. Ive never seen a stills shoot with 18K HMI,s .. don't they use a flash.. 30 foot of tracks..20kg loaded up cameras..? anyway let me reiterate .. to just say dont work on under staffed shoots put together by unscrupulous producers might sound ok from behind the counter of a shop but its not helpful for those being put in danger by such practices .. ?

Edited by Robin R Probyn

One brought to you by the department of reality, founded by someone who attended the school of hard knocks, the college of unanticipated fists to the face, and the university of getting the poop kicked out of you.

(Thankyou, Edmund)

What's really weird here is that... in person Phil, you don't seem like the kind of person who would write this about themselves. And you seem to have a demeanor that could work for you as a cinematographer. I'm not sure I understand your attitude, but, it does make for entertaining reading!

Again, I never said I support unscrupulous producers.

I have battled with them. "Just carry the Honda 6500 down the stairs to the beach"

"um sure, get me some more people and we can make it happen."

​If you don't say no then they keep getting away with what they're doing. Unfortunately everyone who wants to get into the business are the ones that will do it because "you just want to get your foot in the door"

Universal, Fox, Paramount, Sony lots are all union so it's a mix on when we can bring in our equipment and trucks- just 3-ton trucks. We definitely are not using 5-tons. If it's big enough then two 3-tons rather than one 5-ton.

Most times we have to use their grip dept for equipment and they also provide one grip and one electric on set while the Photo crew works the job.

Most of the lighting is flash so they don't want to bother with that part because they are not familiar with it but if we are on a studio lot, most likely it is a bigger shoot with 20 or more Flash units that can pull 20amps each so we check in with electric for sure.

​18k once in awhile but more M18, M40 and M90.

Some days it can be just a cargo van with a few items and some days it's a 40' Condor, M90, generator, genny operator and the rest of the equipment that might be needed ... delivered to the location on PCH.

It's all good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ed Im a bit confused .. you say you are an owner of a stills rental shop.. so a shoot at Universal means you drive your van in the gates and off load the rental gear.. Ive never seen a stills shoot with 18K HMI,s .. don't they use a flash.. 30 foot of tracks..20kg loaded up cameras..? anyway let me reiterate .. to just say dont work on under staffed shoots put together by unscrupulous producers might sound ok from behind the counter of a shop but its not helpful for those being put in danger by such practices .. ?

Gregory Crewdson would be an exception to that-- minus the tracks.

• Premium Member

I was going to say, there's some madman out there who sets up still photos like a motion picture set. Is that who I'm thinking of? There's BTS of it somewhere. A snow scene, mid century, guy in a coat and hat with his back to camera.

• Premium Member

What's really weird here is that... in person Phil, you don't seem like the kind of person who would write this about themselves. And you seem to have a demeanor that could work for you as a cinematographer. I'm not sure I understand your attitude, but, it does make for entertaining reading!

Careful, you'll give me ideas!