Plexiglass Shield for Horror Film

Hey guys, first time posting on this site. I am shooting my first horror film in a couple weeks and I've been spinning the wheels through Preproduction to be as prepared as possible for this shoot. ( As i'm sure you all are used to)

I am shooting a horror film that will have a lot of splats, blood and all kinds of other special effects gunk flung through air cannons at the camera.

I hear camera's are not a big fan of getting wet or taking oatmeal, syrup,or water all over them so i'm preparing to make a plexiglass shield to affix to the front of the camera. I'm using 15mm rods on my camera setup and would like to wingnut with some washers the plexiglass to the front of the rods but i'm not sure if that will be the best setup. The lens primes I have will not be varying in length.

Does anyone have any different setups that they could recommend for this situation?

If it's particularly wet:

Bag the camera, optical flat, allweather tape inside the mattebox to fill any gaps / wipe clean easily.

PPE should also be worn if there's air canons in play. Sure don't want to loose an eye, not in this trade.