Suggestions on lighting a lobby to look like daytime...

...when we have to shoot at 2am :blink:

We need a wide shot, and the budget does exist for some proper lighting (hospital commercial).

Attached scout photo below. So many windows, so much outside...

Assuming that it would require some giant HMIs to light the immediate exterior right outside the windows, then blast some huge sources through the windows up top to blow out the night sky/light the interior a bit. Curious your thoughts and if you've ever encountered something like this.

As always many thanks for this forum's combined wisdom.

post-72020-0-14031100-1531757093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Thomas

• Premium Member

Forget about seeing anything outside. You're gonna have to white them out-- through covering them with silk or a lot of 1000H and then some large HMIS into said silks from far far away You'd be looking at 12 or 18K at least for eachwindow backed away enough to fill the whole thing (or almost the whole thing)

Inside I'd use balloon lights floated for and "ambience" needed. and then you're smaller HMIs as necessary.

• Premium Member

I think the biggest issue, though I may be wrong, is that this is happening outside of LA/NY in Indiana. I mean here in LA, it's almost trivial to get the crew and kit to do something like this; but if you actually are shooting in Indiana, I am unsure how easy it would be. Though I may be just guessing where you're filming it based no your location.

If it was LA side, I'd get a few BeBee lights or a a 100K soft sun or the like.

• Upvote 1

A company is trying to get me to do a shoot in Indiana and I'm googling gear rental houses and nothing with legit HMIs is coming up. So I have no clue how this guy is pulling off multiple HMIs in Fort Wayne.

It's seeming like we're in the beginning stages of what our plan is. It's a hospital so obviously one of the first suggestions is "let's not disturb the place", which is completely understandable. I wouldn't be surprised if when we come back with a "yeah we can do it at 2am for this cost..." the plan changes to a different time or location.

It seems like it's all possible at this point, but to Phil's point, at what cost.

Hey Macks check these dudes out https://hammergrip.tv/

We have a Midwest office here, yes. However Hammer Lighting & Grip generally has larger trucks in the immediate area, while Midwest brings theirs in from different locations. For this kind of setup, both houses have plenty of 12/18K options available as well as the powerplants and distro to run them. I personally know both the owner of Hammer and the shop manager at the Midwest Indianapolis office, either one of them can get you set up with these kinds of needs. Furthermore I'm one of at least 20 technicians in the Indianapolis area and we work and drive trucks all over the state, so there are plenty of trained, professional crew here (even a few 728 card carrying members). So don't let anyone tell you otherwise and then try to pull crew from out of town, we like to work too. ;)

My response would be that if they want it to be a day scene with so many windows, shoot it in the daytime.

The alternative of covering all the windows with white, and lighting that, is possible, and time consuming. But, in the end, will look kind of phony. And if you do try this, don't use silk on the windows, it's way too spotty.

Really, if they want to see the windows in frame here, it's a day scene. And even in the daytime, you'll still need some big lamps to light the day scene possibly.

Edited by Bruce Greene