Analogue Sekonic Light Meter Needle won't move

Hi,

I've got an old analogue Sekonic light meter (L-28-C2) and it was working fine earlier this evening when I was testing it outside. I then took it to another location to figure out if I will need filter for the shoot, and when I tried to use it, the needle wouldn't move at all. It is stuck at just below zero foot candles (the lowest possible reading).

I know the solar cells in these analogue meters eventually wear out, but one minute it was working and 15 minutes later, nothing.

Has my light meter's time come to an end or is there something else that might be wrong with it?

Edited by Christopher White

I'll assume you haven't dropped it.

Is the needle free to move when you press the button- does it move if you shake the meter a little? If so, it suggests a wire has come adrift. If not, some fault with the needle lock.

I would be having a look inside myself but I'm reasonably handy and I have the tools. Considering the price of replacements it's probably not worth a repair.

Edited by Mark Dunn

The Sekonic L-28-C-2 features a "high slide" that divides the light level by 32. This slide is at the top of the meter, and should have a small metal handle to pull it out. More information can be found in this user manual.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cameramanuals.org%2Fflashes_meters%2Fsekonic_l-28c2.pdf

• Premium Member

The button in the center of the readout dial should be pushed to release the needle for a reading and released to lock it in place.

Perhaps the button has become corroded or dirty and has locked the needle. Seem I remember it can be turned to lock it in place to "save" the reading as well.

Try gently pressing down and rotating the sliver button to see if the needle is released.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. The L-28 (C2) model doesn't have the lock, so it had nothing to do with that. The screw that connects with the button and makes contact with the senor is what came loose. I had a friend pop off the button, and he was able to get the needle moving again by pushing down with a small screw.

It was straight forward to take about the Sekonic (3 screws on the back to remove the metal plate, then another four brass screws to take it apart). Here's a couple pictures. The red arrow shows the screw that can loose from the button. Tightened it back up and good as new!

post-75138-0-50836100-1533078738_thumb.jpg

post-75138-0-05986300-1533078745_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I don't get what that brass part doe? I have mine open and I cannot see mechanically what it does. The lever in the meter goes to lock with nothing on it, so upshot further down would accomplish nothing. Am I missing something here.