The Krasnogorsk K3

danny bartle

Is there any modifications needed to the mount to use the zeiss lenses?

Or can I just use the standard mount?

Do you have the bayonet mount or the screw mount?

All I know about zeiss is that it is good in my Hasselblad and Arri uses it.

i went onebay and saw that they have the m42 mount on the zeiss ddr.

Edited by zrszach

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I received my Krasnogorsk-3 camera from Ukraine. I've been shooting a lot of super8 on my Beaulieu 5008s and decided to give 16mm a try.

Me and a few friends are preparing a 16mm short. We've managed to get funding and a couple of professional actors have agreed to cooperate for free.

I'm trying to make the film look as good as possible and unfortunately, the K-3's stock lens is ok, but it's not sufficient for what I intend to shoot.

My 5008s 7-69mm Schneider zoomlens seems to be perfect for the job. But is it possible to mount my c-mount lens to my m42 pentax-screwmount camera? Are these convertors available and if so, will focusing to infinity be possible?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

René.

Thank you. I just saw in anpther topic that it isn't possible to mount a c-mount lens to a m42 body, beacuase of the distance to the body. Those Takumar lenses seem to be a very good option indeed. The only problem is that I would like to get a wider lens than the K-3's stock lens. Those seem hard to find, but I'll keep an eye out on ebay. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

The Pentax Takumar M42 lenses work awesome on the K3 and best of all

is that you can pick these lenses up on Ebay for very little..

Cheers

Sean

7-69mm Schneider zoomlens seems to be perfect for the job. But is it possible to mount my c-mount lens to my m42 pentax-screwmount camera?

I think you might have trouble with the Optivaron Schneider on 16mm... even if you could find an adapter, the lens probably would not cover the entire 16mm frame... plus the bigger gauge film would make the lens give a perspective more like 4-35mm. This wouldn't be as useful.

I feel a little responsable for the stock zoom getting a bad rap on this thread (see my earlier posts). It isn't the sharpest things out there, but it isn't THAT bad either. Especially if you are moving from S8 to 16mm. YOU WILL STILL HAVE A DRAMATIC INCREASE IN QUALITY. The lens is fast f1.9, has an excellent zoom range, and a nice little zoom lever. No, it isn't as sharp as a HEC Angenieux or a Cooke, but it is fine for a lot of applications.

Before you get caught up in lens replacements, just get some slower stock and shoot with it. I'd shhot a roll of EXR-50D (which will give you the MAX in sharpness and color on the stock side of things) and then look at the results. If things aren't contrasty enough, or the glass is too fuzzy, then get some M42s - but you maybe very happy with the results and save yourself $ and time.

• Premium Member
Thank you. I just saw in anpther topic that it isn't possible to mount a c-mount lens to a m42 body, beacuase of the distance to the body. Those Takumar lenses seem to be a very good option indeed. The only problem is that I would like to get a wider lens than the K-3's stock lens. Those seem hard to find, but I'll keep an eye out on ebay. Thanks a lot.

The quality of the images you can pull from the Takumar's are excellent,

for the price I dont think you can get a better deal..!

I was totally suprised as well as the colorist...sharp as a rock and vibrant color

Cheers

Sean

I have a Vivitar M42 lens that gives absolutely beautiful pictures. Just because a lens is not a Nikkor does not mean it is bad. I've seen solid lenses come out of Russia, for example. Try it for yourself and see if the results are what you want. Shoot, I do a lot of work on a 12.5mm TV-camera lens, it gives me the picture result that I want.

I think I will do some extensive tesing with the stock lens for now. I know many people have been surpised at how well their results have turned out and I'm sure the sharpness and color will be good enough for me, since I've only worked on s8 before. It's just that I was hoping to be able to shoot at a little wider angle.

Hi,

Don't get this at all. You're paying thousands for stock and transfer, yet you're going to stick a rotten lens on it. Does not compute. If you're going to spend all that money, just rent an SR2, surely!

Phil

Well, I suppose that would make more sense, but it's not possible with my budget. I'm doing this project with three friends. We're in a absurd theatre group and we perform throughout the country. We also project films in our shows. We could not afford this project just with our own budget, but fortunately the city of The Hague offers funding up to 700 euro to young people who come up with a artistic plan. We can now barely make it to shoot negative with this setup. Maybe I can get a cheap better lens on it, but renting an Arri here in Holland is extremely expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am bying K-3 this weekend and was wondering - since K-3 can only focus from 2 meters - what type of lense should I buy to get the macro focus? i.e. I'd like to be able to make very close-up shots.

Also, does anyone know if I should buy any other lenses beside the M42 that the camera comes with? Do the original M42 lenses provide good quality?

Many thanks guys

:D

Hello All,

I am bying K-3 this weekend and was wondering - since K-3 can only focus from 2 meters - what type of lense should I buy to get the macro focus? i.e. I'd like to be able to make very close-up shots.

Also, does anyone know if I should buy any other lenses beside the M42 that the camera comes with?  Do the original M42 lenses provide good quality?

Many thanks guys

:D

My K3 hasn't arrived yet. So you CAN'T focus less than two meters away? What about the the peleng 8mm lens that is recommended? I really need to get the closest possible focus with mine so if ANYONE has any suggestions as to what lens will work, I am going to be filming some scale models and need a good depth of feild and the ability to keep things very close ( 1 to 2 inches ) in focus. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

My K3 hasn't arrived yet.  So you CAN'T focus less than two meters away?  What about the the peleng 8mm lens that is recommended? I really need to get the closest possible focus with mine so if ANYONE has any suggestions as to what lens will work, I am going to be filming some scale models and need a good depth of feild and the ability to keep things very close ( 1 to 2 inches ) in focus.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

If you go through this entire posting you'll find some advice about lenses for the K3. If you need to get close to your subject you can purchase some old M42/praktica lenses on ebay. They'll allow you to get much closer, usually aroung .3 meters or so. Also with a 50mm (apprx. 100mm equivalent in 16mm format) you can pretty much fill the frame with an eye.

Edited by steveb40

Guest VideoCowboy
My K3 hasn't arrived yet.  So you CAN'T focus less than two meters away?  What about the the peleng 8mm lens that is recommended? I really need to get the closest possible focus with mine so if ANYONE has any suggestions as to what lens will work, I am going to be filming some scale models and need a good depth of feild and the ability to keep things very close ( 1 to 2 inches ) in focus.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I noticed that some K-3s come with a close up diaopter filter. My is labled "F-1734" and found this out after searching the web trying to find out what it was. I do not remember the details on how close you can focus and have not used it yet, but you can probably find out from one of the K3 dealers.

Hal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay. I've gotten through two pages on this thread . . . but it's quite a voluminous one, so I'm going to go ahead and post this information hoping that it hasn't already been covered by someone else:

I found a site that, along with having what seems to be a pretty good amount of information on various types of film cameras, also has a section specifically on K3's, as well as some footage of a short they shot on one.

This is for the main website:

http://www.owyheesound.com/index.html

This is their section on film cameras:

http://www.owyheesound.com/owyheesound_ins...lm_cameras.html

And at the bottom of this particular link, you'll find the section on K3s:

http://www.owyheesound.com/owyheesound_ins...ogorsk_k-3.html

as well as the short they shot using it:

http://www.owyheesound.com/owyheesound_pro...he_trestle.html

Now, this particular K3 they have apparently is one with the horrible registration that I've read (on here) some of them randomly come with. Also, the footage doesn't really look all that great . . .

But I think it's good to look at because it gives you an idea of some of the not so good type of footage that this camera is also capable of (so as to try to improve on your own image capturing).

Javier

Edited by JavierC

Today I received my Krasnogorsk-3 camera from Ukraine. I've been shooting a lot of super8 on my Beaulieu 5008s and decided to give 16mm a try.

Me and a few friends are preparing a 16mm short. We've managed to get funding and a couple of professional actors have agreed to cooperate for free.

I'm trying to make the film look as good as possible and unfortunately, the K-3's stock lens is ok, but it's not sufficient for what I intend to shoot.

My 5008s 7-69mm Schneider zoomlens seems to be perfect for the job. But is it possible to mount my c-mount lens to my m42 pentax-screwmount camera? Are these convertors available and if so, will focusing to infinity be possible?

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,

René.

At first, this lenses have difference flange focal distances.

C-mount - 17.53 mm,

M42 45.5 mm.

Not possile set lens with short flange focal distance on camera with long flange focal distance.

From other side,

If i correct , Beaulieu 5008s Super 8 camera and zoom lens from Super 8 camera not cover size of 16 mm film.

Meteor-5 zoom lens 17-69 mm have good quality.

If you need more high quality of image , you need K-3 with bayonet and modified professinal zoom lens 16 OPF-12-1 10-100 mm, or Kinor-16 with 10-100 zoom lens.

Does anybody which of the Krasnogorsk prime lenses i.e. Vega, Mir, for bayonet K-3s are Super 16 safe?

Hi.

The my primitive test of checking of diameter of circle of image :

Mir-11 12.5 mm F2.2 have diameter of image 12.3 mm

Vega-7 20 mm F2.0 have diameter 14.07 mm

Vega-9 50 mm F2.1 have diameter more 44 mm.

The diagonal of Super 16 film gate 14.46 mm.

Vega-9 cover Super 16 .

Hi.

The my primitive test of checking of diameter of circle of image :

Mir-11 12.5 mm F2.2 have diameter of image 12.3 mm

Vega-7 20 mm F2.0 have diameter 14.07 mm

Vega-9 50 mm F2.1 have diameter more 44 mm.

The diagonal of Super 16 film gate 14.46 mm.

Vega-9 cover Super 16 .

Thanx for the info!

• 5 months later...
Hello all,

I'm contemplating buying a Krasnogorsk K3 16mm camera as I'm finding it hard to buy a Bolex on Ebay at a reasonable price without being sniped out at the last second.

I've used the Bolex before & think they're a great camera but could anyone give me advice on the K3, like the reliability, what problems to look out for (i've heard they have some common problems), cost, where is a good place to buy etc. Also how would they compare to the Bolex in terms of reliability, features, image quality etc.

Thanks to all who reply....

I've shot a lot of 16mm stock tests with the K3 and found these common problems usually dealing w/ the pressure plate:

the pressure plate often gets jarred if the camera goes through sudden movements. It's easy to tell when it happens because of the insane amount of noise-- fixable but annoying.

Second-- they can be very scratch-happy. If you look at the pressure plate you'll see that they have a patten of grooves running down them.

The scratches usually take on this pattern.

Overall the K3 is an unreliable 16 camera and the lenses are non-existent for some of the models unless you craft your own adapters. But, they are cheap and easy to find. Perfect for doing things like stock tests and small experiments- usually a horrible disaster for those doing more serious and expensive projects.

If you are shooting a short with this camera no amount of scratch tests is enough...

• Site Sponsor

I've shot a lot of 16mm stock tests with the K3 and found these common problems usually dealing w/ the pressure plate:

the pressure plate often gets jarred if the camera goes through sudden movements.

Any general fix for this? is it due to the spring loaded little nub that pushes into the holder on the back of the pressure plate which allows for it to move up/down while film is running in the gate?

-Rob-