What happened to Chevys?

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

I am a fan of modestly-priced American food, and Chevys was my favourite almost-junk-food. We would often visit the Burbank location after driving back from Vegas after NAB, because it was often lightly-populated, which of course may have been the problem. Still, since there was table service, I got to feel like a grown-up.

However, I notice that the locations in Northridge, Burbank, Glendale and the one in what I think of as Sherman Oaks (but which may theoretically be Van Nuys) are now marked closed on Google Maps.

Now I'm faced with the unpalatable options of going all the way to Ontario, California, or to Poquito Mas, which serves its food in disposable trays.

Ugh.

P

• Premium Member

YOU TRAVEL ALL THE WAY TO AMERICA FOR GOD DAMN CHEVY'S??

That's what I tell the tax office when I expense the travel.

We do have Mexican food in the town where I live, for some value of "Mexican." The problem is that its...

It's...

Sob.

bk37qsph.jpg

Dude....... The next time you visit Los Angeles go to In-N-Out and get the Animal Style Fries and order a "secret menu" item like the Flying Dutchman. You will go back to the UK full and happy. Fat Burger is ah-ight, but forget everything else. It's all basic level stuff.

• Premium Member

Dude....... The next time you visit Los Angeles go to In-N-Out and get the Animal Style Fries and order a "secret menu" item like the Flying Dutchman. You will go back to the UK full and happy. Fat Burger is ah-ight, but forget everything else. It's all basic level stuff.

Oh, I couldn't possibly agree more - In-n-Out is the other reason to spend time in the southwest United States.

There's actually one within a short walk of where the Chevys in Burbank was.

P

Yeah, but we have that here (and it's outrageously expensive.)

Eek, 8+ quid from a place (Stratford Westfield) I'd stick pins in my eyes to avoid visiting. Only time I went there I asked them to ban me but I hadn't done anything wrong so they refused.

Only consolation is Tap East pub which you can actually get to without going inside the shopping centre if you're careful.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

There's now a Five Guys on more or less every street corner in the west end. I went in one of them having only glanced at the food options, not the prices, and had a very acceptable cheeseburger, fries and a coke with a friend. I ended up shelling out so much money that I staggered home bandy-legged and being ginger about sitting down. Tasty, but good grief.

I've not been back.

• Premium Member

I do believe they are called Chips. . . lol

IT's actually insane to me that five guys is all the way over there. I recall, well I suppose it is awhile ago now, the fanfare of the first one opening up in Philadelphia when I lived there. Or even last year or the year before when it moved to LA.

There's now a Five Guys on more or less every street corner in the west end. I went in one of them having only glanced at the food options, not the prices, and had a very acceptable cheeseburger, fries and a coke with a friend. I ended up shelling out so much money that I staggered home bandy-legged and being ginger about sitting down. Tasty, but good grief.

I've not been back.

Yeah Five Guys is probably the most overpriced fast food ever made.

go to Fuddruckers and eat the unlimited fix-ins

Church. FUDDRUCKER'S makes some of the best burgers in the world (first to offer the Bison burger before Ted Turner made that idea into a franchise), I grew up on that stuff. They have fewer locations, nowadays.

DO NOT EVER suggest GOLDEN CORRAL to our UK brethren. That stuff is cafeteria sludge for mouth breathers.

DO NOT EVER suggest GOLDEN CORRAL to our UK brethren. That stuff is cafeteria sludge for mouth breathers.

You go to Golden Corral for the experience, not so much the food. Thinking about 3rd world countries while loading up your plate is the funniest experience you can have at a restaurant.

It's also a risk-free Russian roulette because you can get everything that looks disgusting, take 2 bites, and then tell the waiter to throw it out free of charge.