Jonathan Flanagan

Ronnie Taylor BSC (RIP.)

Ronnie Taylor BSC, has died at the age of 93. He won the Oscar for his work on Gandhi,( shared with original cinematographer Billy Williams BSC), he had taken over when Williams had become ill, although the majority of the work was Williams'and worked with Richard Attenborough on many of his projects as operator and then DOP.

https://bscine.com/news?id=275

Edited by Jonathan Flanagan

In 1987 I was the 2nd AC for Ronnie on a very forgettable movie starring John Travolta called 'The Experts'. Ronnie was a true gentleman and a talented cinematographer who had many stories about his career. He had saved the call sheet from the funeral procession scene in Gandhi which was one of his first days after taking over from the ailing Billy Williams. The scene was shot in one day with 4 operated cameras and a lock off and 500,000 extras !

A background AD told me that on the day with 500,000 extras in the streets for Gandhi's funeral, the crowd was getting restless just as Richard Attenborough quietly said to AD David Tomblin "David, I think it would be good for the extras to take a moment and think about Gandhi and what his death means to India at this moment..." So David nods and then shouts into his megaphone: "OK, LISTEN UP: GANDHI'S DEAD, YOU'RE ALL SAD!!! ROLL CAMERAS!!!"

• Upvote 2

So David nods and then shouts into his megaphone: "OK, LISTEN UP: GANDHI'S DEAD, YOU'RE ALL SAD!!! ROLL CAMERAS!!!"

Lovely story. I feel sure it's true.

A background AD told me that on the day with 500,000 extras in the streets for Gandhi's funeral, the crowd was getting restless just as Richard Attenborough quietly said to AD David Tomblin "David, I think it would be good for the extras to take a moment and think about Gandhi and what his death means to India at this moment..." So David nods and then shouts into his megaphone: "OK, LISTEN UP: GANDHI'S DEAD, YOU'RE ALL SAD!!! ROLL CAMERAS!!!"

That's amazing 😂